Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question/observation: I notice that in spite of how much comb building they did the first month, and in spite of how many sunny and warm days we have had, the comb building has really really slowed down. We have remained at 12 bars for the greater part of a really nice sunny week. Should I be manipulating the hive and move in some empty bars to encourage more comb building in between the built combs? They seem rather focused and centered on staying put. Also, the more shaded hive has a lot less combs, but the combs that are there are huge! It seems, at last check to have only about 7 bars of comb, but like I said very developed and full. Any thoughts about manipulating things to encourage them to do some more comb building? Or, should I just trust that they know what they are doing a zillion times better than me, like I have been....
I love all the experience out there and look forward to any thoughts on my different questions! Thanks in advance!!
Liz

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think I should feed them supplementally? I fed them the first few weeks, but stopped, figuring that was fast food, and the "real" food was in bloom, so they were good...Maybe I should put some sugar in there and see if they eat it...assuming they won't if they don't need it...
Thank you!

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
It depends on what your goals are. If they do not have the population to defend the comb you will have the best colony of wax moths and small hive beetles in town. You should increase the brood production with protein patties if you want to feed supplemental sugars. If you have the patience and want a natural environment leave them to their own path.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts