Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Should I harvest?

1163 Views 11 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  John_M
The supers on all 4 of my hives are capped. Should I harvest the honey and put them back on? Leave them alone for a while? Harvest the honey and leave them off? Just not sure what the beat thing to do would be.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response. At what point would I want to add a second or third super? Once one fills up it seems that i would want to harvest the honey, so why do some people have multiple supers? Is that so that the bees can keep filling them up and then I only have to harvest the honey at the end of the season?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I just updated my profile with a location. This is my 3rd year. The first year I tried a Flow Hive and got zero honey. The bees would mill around the plastic frames but didn't fill a single cell. The second year I had two hives and got a decent amount of honey, but this Spring I lost them both to mice and wax moths. So I got 4 packages this Spring and they've been doing great. All 4 hives have 2 deeps and a super. That's why I'm asking about having more than one super.

I wasn't providing any syrup to the bees when I put the supers on, so I assume the answer is nectar?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it, but why do some people have 3 or 4 supers on their hives? Do they realize that the bees are filling up the existing supers, and rather than harvest supers all season long, they keep adding more supers so they can harvest only once at the end of the season?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.