Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed 4 5-frame nucs today and I am wondering if I need to feed them. The reason I ask is this, I added 1 full frame of capped honey to 5 frames, a 4 fully drawn frames. Nest the Dandelions are in full bloom and these hives are in a sea of yellow. The apple trees are just starting to bloom, the hawthornes are in full bloom. Common sense says I do not have supplement them with syrup but I just thought I should ask the experts.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
For new colonies on foundation (of foundationless), I keep feed available until they have drawn out comb on two deeps. When we have a cool, rainy week like we just had, I want them to stay busy drawing comb.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Flow or no flow, if they haven't drawn out some frames yet in the brood chamber, I'm feeding. Sure, they'll be bringing in the natural nectar, but the additional sugar water will add to the sense of urgency that the bees will feel to get it drawn out for storage. Once the outer 2 frames are being drawn out, I add a super.
So...feed away and get them into a super quicker.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
They have 10 fully drawn frames, and when I add the next supper it also will have 10 fully drawn frames, so they do not need to draw out any comb for at least a little while.

·
Banned
578 Posts
If there is a strong flow, they may not touch syrup for some time, and it could ferment, so either feed a little at a time, feed thick syrup or add thymol or sorbate to it to reduce the chance of fermenting. Also, making sure the feeder and water used is reasonably clean or sterile may delay fermentation.

Also consider how you feed. Boardman feeders are a generally a bad idea because they leak outside the hive. Other atmospheric feeders can leak, too, but generally inside the hive where the spillage is usually cleaned up and does not incite robbing. Frame feeders are good, but some types can drown bees, especially if the syrup is thin.

·
Registered
760 Posts
id feed !!!!!

if they need it they will take it --- if not then they will not take it

its cheap insureace to see if they need it

if i need frames drawn out ill feed - sometime when i need frames drawn out even in the middle of a flow - ill feed one or two hives and just pull out the frames that they drawn and use them in other hives - slave labor really but as they say ..... if it works ...... keep workin it

but i usually plan on feeding for at least 1 month after install of any kind - nuc or pack

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
From another fellow Wisconsinite-I don't think you will have to feed but keep and eye on them. If they are not putting on weight then give them some syrup. The dandelions don't seem to be putting out the nectar they have in years past. Maybe that is because of the early bloom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts