Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a 3lb package of carniolans into my new topbar hive (TBH). I put three frames of cut down comb plus a cut down frame of honey in there from last year's failed hive. Should I feed them?

I'm inclined not right now to because
1) They for sure won't starve with that honey and it should provide them with enough to get comb drawn pretty fast.
2) I didn't build an easy way to feed them when making my TBH. oops.

If the consensus is yes, feed them, then can I put an external feeder somewhere?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
if they need to build comb feed them otherwise I can not say. if you feed do it some way that does not encourage robbing..... lots of debate to follow.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Are the internal dimensions of your TBH large enough to fit a vacuum feeder inside? If it is, make one out of a mason jar, bucket, paint can, the feed can that came with you package, etc.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Though it might be possible, I have never known bees to eat honey from the comb in order to produce wax to make more comb. However, queenright young bees will make wax and build comb, when their bellies are full of nectar/sugar syrup and there is little empty comb space where they can deposit it.

All they will use the honey for, is to feed themselves and any brood needing fed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok. I'll make up a jar feeder and set it int he back when I check the queen cage tomorrow.

Thanks.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,161 Posts
If nothing is blooming, I'd feed. If there is stuff blooming, the frame of honey will probably tide them over. Also keep in mind the likelihood of a week of rain where they can't forage. They can burn through a frame of honey very quickly...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts