Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
reformatted bees.jpeg

I have a NUC which I installed three weeks ago. One week ago I installed a second deep with five fames as the five new frames in the bottom deep were mostly drawn. There was plenty of capped brood, uncapped brood and capped and uncapped honey. For the past 4-5 days, there have been lots of bees massed outside of entrance in the mornings and evenings. It has been very hot here these past few weeks, high 80's and 90's. The new frames with undrawn plastic foundation have bees on them, but not too many and doesn't seem drawn yet. Didn't see any queen cells last week when I went in, but will check again tomorrow. Does this look like a swarm to you guys? Also, should I put shims under lid to allow some ventilation?

Just an anxious newbie here.

Thanks, Kimball

·
Registered
535 Posts
This tells me the temp in the hive is exactly where they want it. Add ventilation and they will go back inside and go back to work keeping the brood warm.

I like to see a hive beard like this.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I just posted on this. Mine are doing the same thing. Rain last night cooled things off a bit and they went back in. This afternoon there were some back out. 87 this afternoon and humid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts