Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed my first nuc on Saturday. Added a feeder jar on Monday. I have a deep an inner over on top and another deep on top of that tap. I placed a feeder jar with 1:1 syrup over the inner cover hole and covered the top box with the telescoping cover.

Question 1: Yesterday evening I went to check on the feeder jar and noticed very little activity at the entrance. Just a few bees leaving and entering. It was 7:15 pm, cloudy and about 59F. Was it just the weather/time of day or should I be worried?

Question 2: When I removed the top cover I noticed three dead bees and 3 live ones in there. Seems like they smelled the syrup and were looking to eat but died after not being able to get any. I removed the three dead ones (may they rest in peace) and freed the 3 others (no bees left behind). Seems like they got in since there is a gap on either side of the cover. Should I be worried lots of other bees will smell the syrup and get it there is there an acceptable loss when feeding that way? I.e. do I need to fill the gaps of the cover? Wont the hive get too hot if I do?

Question 3: I noticed a few ants crawling on the hive. Do the bees kill them if they enter the hive? Is it worth spreading some diatomaceous earth on the ground around the cinder blocks (my hive stand )? Will it prevent ants and small hive beetles from crawling onto the hive?

Question 4: When I installed the nuc I didn’t checkboard the 5 nuc frames with my 5 new frames? Should I have? I only put a new frame in between two nuc frames when it seemed like they were so overdrawn i was afraid to squish bees when installing. When I inspect this weekend, should I checkboard them if they haven’t drawn out any comb at all? If they did I assume it’ll be the inner ones first right. If so then leave em?

Thanks
Concerned New Bee Dad

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I would probably put tape over the inter cover notch so bees can not get above the inter cover. I do not have any upper ventilation in my hives and they do just fine. When you are no longer feeding, you can change it.

I never worry about ants and expect them when I feed.

My view is that if you installed the five frames of the nuc in the center of the hive and put the empties on each side, the bees will build out as they need space. I do put empty frames between brood frames cause I am foundationless and I get better drawn comb but I don't think in your case you need to. Maybe others will comment on this.

If you open the hive and inspect and find capped brood and larva and eggs if you can see them, I would not worry about the traffic at the entrance yet. When any capped brood hatches you will see an increase in bees in the hive and it will probably free up more foragers.

You will know more when you inspect a couple of frames.
I am pretty new myself and know the feeling of just not being sure of what is going on. If you see brood, you will probably be just fine and fun to watch them grow from now till fall.
Good luck
gww

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would probably put tape over the inter cover notch so bees can not get above the inter cover. I do not have any upper ventilation in my hives and they do just fine. When you are no longer feeding, you can change it.

I never worry about ants and expect them when I feed.

My view is that if you installed the five frames of the nuc in the center of the hive and put the empties on each side, the bees will build out as they need space. I do put empty frames between brood frames cause I am foundationless and I get better drawn comb but I don't think in your case you need to. Maybe others will comment on this.

If you open the hive and inspect and find capped brood and larva and eggs if you can see them, I would not worry about the traffic at the entrance yet. When any capped brood hatches you will see an increase in bees in the hive and it will probably free up more foragers.

You will know more when you inspect a couple of frames.
I am pretty new myself and know the feeling of just not being sure of what is going on. If you see brood, you will probably be just fine and fun to watch them grow from now till fall.
Good luck
gww
The bees arent getting in through the inner cover hole since its completely covered by the feeding jar. They are getting in from the lip of the telescoping top cover.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
If there is a flow on, you probably have little worry. However, you may want to feed some day during a derth. I would stick something (clump of grass?) in the gap to stop bees from getting in where the hive bees do not protect if feeding. It may never be a problem or it may.
Cheers
gww

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,379 Posts
to answer your question:

1. It is probably a combination of the time of day, the weather, and a new hive. Until a hive gets going it will hot have a lot of forgers, especially if you are feeding it. Cool weather means less bees out. In the evening the bees may be returning to the hive for the night.

2. The bees that came in the side may have been from your hive or may have been robbers. I would seal the hole in the inner cover to keep the bees out.

3. I dont have ant problems where I live, but it may not hurt to try and keep the ants out.

4. with a Nuc you want to put the frames from the nuc together and put the empty frames on the outside. If you spread out all of the frames that already have brood in a small hive you make it harder for the nurse bees to keep the brood warm and healthy. I dont think the one you placed between the 2 overdrawn frames will be a problem and the hive will probably start drawing it out and filling it quickly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts