Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked my bees in Oct/Nov they had plenty of capped honey in the brood boxes, stored pollen didn't look so much (but I've just started so not sure what's normal). I gave them one top feeder full of 50% sugar water with medication and put in grease patties. The feeder was eaten up very quickly. I'm in norther Cal and my bees continue to fly almost every day (even in the rain) up until recently coming in loaded with pollen. Peeking under the lid they look almost as busy as they did in summer.

Should I keep up the sugar water feed?? They seem OK to me but I don't want them to go hungry. Any advice from locals in Bay area much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Hi Sue,
Try to lift the back of the hive with one hand. If it feels very heavy they are still loaded with honey. Ours are still heavy over here in Concord.
We'll probably have some nice weather in the next week or two, Then you can see how much honey is in the top box.

On the other hand if you put some syrup in the top feeder & they don't take it, then you know they don't need it. Whatever you're more comfortable with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dan,

just tried lifting my hive, can't budge it. Looks like they're OK. Thanks for the tip.

Sue

·
Registered
717 Posts
You did use your hive tool to break any propolis causing boxes to be stuck together, therefore lifting the whole hive vs one box?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts