Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 5 frame nuc installed into a 10 frame deep box last weekend. I went to check on it today to see what's been happening inside the hive. It was my first time inside of a hive ever so I was nervous. Anyways, lots of bees and that was cool to see, I tried looking for eggs and larva but I am too inexperienced and was too nervous to find any. My main concern though was the other (not the nuc) new frames look like the bees haven't even been on them yet. Should I start feeding the bees again and should I checkerboard the nuc frames with the new frames of foundation? Sorry for the long post...

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
They will move on to those foundation frames and draw the comb when they need the room. Stay out for a week and then go in calmly and quietly with a little smoke and see what you find. Just sit outside quietly and watch them haul in pollen and watch them haul out dead bees and cleanings. That will help you get comfortable. Enjoy the time. And don't checkerboard those frames until they are working on 7 and 8 then move 9 and ten in.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Bees will move into the new frames when they need the extra space. If you are not feeding, that will be during a flow. If you want them to draw them out, you'll probably need to feed.

I wouldn't checkerboard the new frames - just take your time and get comfortable around and in the hive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts