Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

They just started doing this today. The current temperature is 73 degrees and cloudy. Yesterday and Wednesday, the temp was around 90. Are they just hanging out, or is this a sign of swarming? I have another hive that is 5 feet away from this one, and those bees are not exhibiting the same behavior.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
What does it look like on the inside?
How many boxes do you have on them?
Mabee they need more room check it out.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
1. they may need more room.
2.they may need more ventilation than the other hive 'cause they have more bees
3.not "normal" swarm prep.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I had a brain fart. Both hives are new packages that were started at the same time. I put the second hive body on a little more than a week ago, and when I did, the first body still had 2 frames that were not completely drawn out. I'll open it up tomorrow (I was planning to anyway) and check it out.

Mike, when you say "3.not "normal" swarm prep.", do you mean this this does not look like a normal preparation for a swarm, or that this condition is not normal and they are preparing to swarm?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
"... do you mean this this does not look like a normal preparation for a swarm.."
yep, but they do strange things sometimes so i've learned to not say "they ABSOLUTELY will..." anything. the popular saying is "the bees dont read the books..." :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts