Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 1st season beekeeper. Yesterday was a break in a long string of cool, rainy weather so I looked at my hives (new packages hived in April). They're doing great. Going through about a gallon of syrup a week. In one hive, they had built out about 7 frames in the second box, so I added a third box. Since I sugar dusted and they were mad, I wanted to move quickly and forgot to "bait" the new box.

This morning, I checked syrup levels. Not only had they not taken any syrup, but there were zero bees in the feeder. This afternoon I checked again and there were maybe two dozen. Usually there's several hundred. Could this be because I didn't bait the box and the distance is too great for them to find it? Even though it's started to rain again (not hard) and it's breezy, should I open the hive and bait that top box?

Thanks, as always, for your recommendations.

·
Registered
760 Posts
baiting the new boxes does help - if its pouring - just wait a few hours - if its sprinkiling id hop out and spay a little sugar water on the center frames

its not to far for them - its just that they remember it only being 10 paces from center and now its 120 paces (example)

but they will find it

good luck

ps .... sounds like the west coast is just one big wet Washington state this year !!!!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Maybe they were busy cleaning up the sugar dust in the hive? I think they will find the feeder again just fine, I would just wait.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts