Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are in a flow i believe. i am in no way an expert at determining how serious it is though. the reason for my question is because only one of my hives is super strong and in 2 deeps now.i will most likely add a super on them today or tomorrow. the other hives barely have queens laying in the middle frames of the top deeps. should i add on supers to catch the flow or should i let them continue until i see more brood frames in the top deeps. i made some nucs early in the spring and had some queen issues so im thinking that set them back just a touch. i really would hate to miss this flow that seems to be here and will only get stronger.

Will they start storing honey in the supers and move the other up or will they fill out the brood boxes first. will it slow them down to add a box and making their hive too large for the amount of bees currently in the hive?

i have plenty of supers and quite a few drawn frames ready to go. i would hate to miss this flow.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Add a box to your better hive, stop feeding them.
Take 2 frames of honey ( does't need to be capped ) and a frame of celled brood and two drawns frames and put them into a 5 frame nuc (if you have one ). 2 days latter take out the capped brood and brush off all the bees. Then put in another frame of brood with eggs no older then threes.

Do this from your stongest hive.

After another week, check them and see if you have Queen Cells. If you do check back once a week. Leave this nuc for at least a month after she is laying,,then go back and pinch the queen in your weak hive. Give them 24 hours to two days to find out they are queenless. Then you can transfer the new queen and her eggs and larva into that weaker hive.
\

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uhhhhh I'm not asking about making queens or nucs. I'm already making those. I'm just asking if I should be adding supers when they haven't taken over the second brood box.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'd give them room and super liberally. If they don't need the room, then you haven't lost anything. My concern in AL would be giving a hive too much room to defend against SHB. You can always pull any unfinished frames later to reduce the hive volume and allow the hives to rob them out, so you haven't lost anything by being optimistic.

·
Registered
819 Posts
When you "made the nucs" earlier, I assume you split existing hives?

If one gets honey from a first year hive or a hive that came from a split, that is a bonus. I would focus on getting the weaker hives up to snuff and not worry about harvesting any honey from them the first year.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you "made the nucs" earlier, I assume you split existing hives?

If one gets honey from a first year hive or a hive that came from a split, that is a bonus. I would focus on getting the weaker hives up to snuff and not worry about harvesting any honey from them the first year.
only looking to harvest from the overwintered hives from last year which were nucs purchase in early Spring. they built to 2 deeps last year and i got a little harvest. when i made nucs in early spring THIS year i only took very light workforce,frames with brood and stores and the overwintered queens.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm with Greg Lowe on this one. I have some hives that are just getting started but I gave them supers. The oldtimers in our bee club always remind us younger beekeepers that you better get the supers on or you can miss the flow. You may want to keep a small entrance until the next round of brood hatches or something. I think I understand why you are asking. If there isn't many bees they won't have much of a work force to gather honey?? that is what I have thought at least. The thing that I think though after watching the bees is that by putting the supers on it gives the bees a chance to clean them up and get the ready for storing the nectar so having them on I believe sets the bees into a mindset of how big the hive is and they position things where they do in the brood chamber based on that size as far as warmth and stuff so having the set size in advance I think is good. Just my thoughts anyway. I have been thinking about bees lately :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts