Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,887 Posts
Depends on if your flow is still going strong. If it is, give them a super and try to get some more honey. If nothing else, I would add a second hive body and undrawn foundation checkerboarded with the drawn. With even a modest flow, that single box will be backfilled before the new queen is mated and ready to start laying.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bees were installed april 29. I bought 2 saskatraz packages from queen right colonies. I was a little hesitant to pay more but i see now it was a good deal. They are going like gang busters. My Italian hive just aboit looks the same. Im going to add a 3rd super on them today. Maybe make another split too. Who knows. Nice and calm bees too. Very surprised. I also want to say i have not fed any of my hives. This is all on thier own. Great bees.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Where did you purchase the packages?
The bees were installed april 29. I bought 2 saskatraz packages from queen right colonies. I was a little hesitant to pay more but i see now it was a good deal. They are going like gang busters. My Italian hive just aboit looks the same. Im going to add a 3rd super on them today. Maybe make another split too. Who knows. Nice and calm bees too. Very surprised. I also want to say i have not fed any of my hives. This is all on thier own. Great bees.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If the attached pictures are of the packages installed on April 29, and they are recent, that really is not all that impressive. I helped install shook swarms in Mid May that are now in double deeps with medium supers on already. No feeding either. I realize flows can vary greatly by region. I would expect a far greater build up from Carniolan based bee. Just my thoughts on the matter.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the attached pictures are of the packages installed on April 29, and they are recent, that really is not all that impressive. I helped install shook swarms in Mid May that are now in double deeps with medium supers on already. No feeding either. I realize flows can vary greatly by region. I would expect a far greater build up from Carniolan based bee. Just my thoughts on the matter.
I wasnt trying to impress you. Believe me. It sounds like your a master beekeeper. Good for you

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,887 Posts
https://www.queenrightcolonies.com/

They are located in Lorain Co., OH

43655 State Route 162
Spencer, Ohio 44275

Phone: 440-647-2602
Fax: 440-647-0922

It wasn't until you said it again that I realized that was the name of the company and not a description of the bees' origin.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive bought many queens from them and always got great queens. They only sell queens from reputable breeders.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The gentleman lives inJoliet, Illinois.. The fact that he has any progress is very good. This area has had nothing but rain, storms and heavy winds and will continue thru this week. Every area of our country is obviously different. I am generally in the same area and my honey production will be the worst in the past 10 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts