Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Northeast Ohio the temps are warming up and I think we may be nearing the end of the flow season. I have a split that has been doing great but I think I added a super too soon and now the bees aren't interested in drawing it out despite two deeps being full of brood and stores. I read the bees may have chewed the wax from the foundation and now they aren't interested. I was thinking to re-coat the frames with wax and replace them this week. If the flow is ending soon and I will be pulling supers anyway, does it still make sense to re-coat the foundation and try again? I guess if I miscalculate the end of the flow and they run out of space they could swarm. What would you do?

·
Registered
306 Posts
If there’s a good nectar flow, they will move into your super and draw comb. My guess is that they were busy filling out the second deep and didn’t make it to the super before the end of your flow. If your flow has ended, I would leave the super in place and feed sugar syrup to get them to draw the frames in the super.
Ryan

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If there’s a good nectar flow, they will move into your super and draw comb. My guess is that they were busy filling out the second deep and didn’t make it to the super before the end of your flow. If your flow has ended, I would leave the super in place and feed sugar syrup to get them to draw the frames in the super.
Ryan
Thanks Ryan

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Ryan
Hi Ryan,
what would prevent them from putting the sugar Syrup in the super they would draw out?

GG

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
What would you do?
That is, of course, a very location dependent decision. If they need room, I’d add a box. If they don’t, I wouldn’t. I like the bees in my hives to be a little crowded but with some room to add nectar. You may have a fall aster or goldenrod flow. If your hives are in a suburban area, there may be nectar from vegetable gardens and ornamental plants. I don’t bother coating plastic frames with wax. I don’t feed bees syrup. I try not to argue with the bees about what they need and what they ought to do.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi Ryan,
what would prevent them from putting the sugar Syrup in the super they would draw out?

GG
Hey GG - Good question. Nothing would really prevent it, but if Johnny wanted to draw supers out to be ready for the next flow, that’s one way of getting it done.

·
Registered
58 Posts
feed syrup to get frames drawn then sling out the funny honey and refeed it to draw more frames all the while storing that drawn comb for when you have a real nectar flow. sugar is cheap compaired to honey and drawn combs make honey so much more effecient for the bees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts