Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what your opinions are in regards to establishing a new box of bees to the hive. Should I place them in the center with five to six bars between spacers ( this is my current plan) or towards the end? My hive is built similar Philip Chandlers with three entrance holes in the center bottom. I have not put any holes on the ends yet. This could be done easily. I am interested in understanding what your reasons are for either method.

Would it be fine to directly release the queen into the hive after dumping the box? should I wait any length of time before putting her in after dumping others? I was going to wedge the end of the wire which will be attached to her cage between the bars and let the bees release her. Now I am concered about them building comb around the cage. I plan on checking through the window each day to see if she has been released and removing the cage as soon as she is. I understand I should not touch her because the girls may reject her if I do.

The top bars are beveled in hopes this will help them to build straight comb.

Michael Bush, I was noticing when looking through past threads that you originally started the bees in the center but now I am under the impression that you prefer them on the ends. Why?

Thanks for your help and patience in advance to questions you must have answered a thousand times!

Kris

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I am wondering what your opinions are in regards to establishing a new box of bees to the hive. Should I place them in the center with five to six bars between spacers ( this is my current plan) or towards the end? My hive is built similar Philip Chandlers with three entrance holes in the center bottom. I have not put any holes on the ends yet. This could be done easily. I am interested in understanding what your reasons are for either method.
It's not just a question of putting them in the middle or at the end: if you want good results, you choose a system for keeping your bees and you work that system, not some kind of a halfway house between two quite different ssystems.

I devised the two-follower system with central entrance for reasons that are spelled out in some detail in my book and in various articles and posts on my site. It works, so long as you follow the instructions.

Likewise, there are equally coherent systems that require you to use end entrances and a single follower. They also work, provided you follow the appropriate instructions.

If you bought yourself a Sony TV, and tried to make it work using instructions for a Samsung, you might get some kind of result, but it is unlikely you would get the best from your TV. The same goes for bees and beehives.

·
Registered
383 Posts
no need for folower boards. pour your bees in where ever you like. thay will find the entrance. if you are woried thay will build comb on or around the queen cage then just lay it on the botom of the hive.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not just a question of putting them in the middle or at the end: if you want good results, you choose a system for keeping your bees and you work that system, not some kind of a halfway house between two quite different ssystems.

Thanks for the reply. I just received your book. I am enjoying it so far.

You have stated in your book, The Barefoot Beekeeper; "that you have no doubt that end-entrance TBH's work as well, and my innovations are an attempt to improve on them and make the TBH more versatile and suitable for a wide range of climatic conditions. Only time will tell if I am on the right path."
I want to understand why others do it differently and what the advantages are for their given way so that I can make an educated decision on the system I will use when the bees get here. I want to give them the best start I can.

I devised the two-follower system with central entrance for reasons that are spelled out in some detail in my book and in various articles and posts on my site. It works, so long as you follow the instructions.

Likewise, there are equally coherent systems that require you to use end entrances and a single follower. They also work, provided you follow the appropriate instructions.
I will check out your site more. I just registered on it last night ! I am good at following directions. I tend to ask a lot of questions so I can fully grasp the reasons behind the ones that are not obvious to me.

buckbee said:
If you bought yourself a Sony TV, and tried to make it work using instructions for a Samsung, you might get some kind of result, but it is unlikely you would get the best from your TV. The same goes for bees and beehives.
Never had a problem with setting up electronics yet!!

Thanks again. I am new to this forum stuff and I hope I have not offended you in any way. It is not my intent and I do appreciate the advise.

Kris

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
No offence, Kris - I've had a long day and may not have been entirely diplomatic in my use of language. And there are some people here who are so convinced they are right and everyone else is wrong - glad you aren't one of them.

There are many ways to keep bees and many designs of hive, most of which work well enough, in some places for some people. Anyone who tells you there is only one way - their way - is trying to make money out of you, or has a hidden agenda.

Choose a system you like the look of and try it out. If it turns out not to suit you, try something else. Don't expect to know everything before you start - I've only been at it for 10 years and I consider myself a beginner - and I fully expect to go on learning and experimenting until I fall off my perch.

Remember to have fun with it as well!

·
Registered
383 Posts
i agree, i am one of the easiest going people there is. i guess that make an easy target. the one thing i have learned in my corrections officer career is to pick the battles you can win. alot of people could use that piece of advise. how about we all join hands an rejoice in a chorus of kumbaya.......... kumbaya my looooordddd kumbayaaaaaaa...

lol;)

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,103 Posts
The problem with the cluster being in the center going into winter with stores on both ends is they go one direction, get to the end and starve with honey at the other end. I don't decide where they will be until winter is coming. I put the package in the hive, direct release the queen and they build where they want. But since my entrance is just the gap in front of the first bar, and they seem to prefer their brood nest near the entrnace that tends to be at one end. If it's going into winter and they are NOT at one end, I move the bars with the cluster to the end and make sure the honey is all in a row behind them. What I don't want is a gap in the honey. If there are empty bars I put them all the way at the back.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Michael,
This makes good sense to me and I will be sure the honey stores are at one end or the other when they are going in to the winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts