Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well yesterday and today has been the official beginning of our swimming season and the bees are hogging the pool:cry:. There has been about a hundred bees congregating at the steps pretty much blocking entry to the water. The hives are about 300' away from the pool and have several other sources of water in between, some fresh, some not so fresh. Some with HBH, some without. So attracting them to another water source isn't working. Does anyone have any ideas for making the pool area less desirable to them? Some kind of repellant or such. I ordered some Bee-go today, thought I would try wiping down the top of the steps with it. Has anyone tried this or have any other ideas? Mommy says get the bees away from the pool or they got to go!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for any suggestions
Blueline

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Last summer I had to light my smoker and smoke the pool area before going swimming. It worked for a little while but once they were locked in on the pool, it was their's. I learned to swim without alot of splashing around and not making waves.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
you will probably have to move them for a couple of weeks so they forget where the pool is then try to get them to use another water source. another trick is a dripping hose going into the bait water supply. like most bad habits, this one is easier to prevent than cure. good luck,mike

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I've heard of people adding a couple drops of bleach to the bees water source.
Seems bees are attracted to chlorine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys...Me, my wife and kids I think can adapt to the bees and watching where we step. They are more interested in the top of the steps and the wet concrete more than anything, but when we have a large cookout (about 4 per summer) I can see it being a problem. What do you think of the idea of blocking the entrances early in the morning on the day of a cookout and keeping the girls caged up until the cookout is over? I figure if it's a really hot day I could use a sprinkler on the hives to keep them cool. Let me know what you think.

Blueline

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
How attached are you to the wife? Just sayin'..........
:) :)they'll need screened tops and bottoms and shade. pretty tricky,they'll overheat and die at the drop of a hat. i'd work on training them to use a new water source. good luck,mike

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Provide a closer water source, in the sun or
partial sunny spot, at a direction other than in line
with the pool. Keep this water source with
rocks for the bees to land on, and replenish
it using pool water, being sure to recharge
the feeder with fresh pool water every 2
days.

Bees, prefer warm water with an odor,
and convey the location to the other
bees by direction, -so the reason behind
the above advice.

Joe
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHoneybeeArticles/

·
Registered
812 Posts
Banana peels are used in yellow jacket traps since HBs avoid the banana smell due to its resemblance to alarm scent.

You may try to find some banana extract flavoring at grocery store and add a few drops to your pool. If nothing else it will make your wife smell good. ;)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
If you move them and bring them back, you'll have to wait long enough for the foragers to die off. They may not "forget." They like salt too. Find a corner of the pool to donate to them. Drape one end of a towel in the water permanently so they can come to drink off it. Add some salt. They are where you see them because the splashed water allows them to drink without drowning. Build some slatted walkways over this area. They are thirsty, not aggressive. It would be a shame to lose your wife just when you got her smelling good.

dickm

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Fischer's Bee Quick might maybe work for the pool parties. Spray it on the concrete deck and on your wife.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
All my nucs and a few hives are about 3 yards from my pool. I have about 4 bees at a time come at the most. I also have 2 lakes next to me. That helps. And the next door neighbors pool helps to. :shhhh:

Kingfisher

·
Registered
281 Posts
bees took to my neighbors pool last year.
We took water from their pool and placed it in a few containers at different locations between the hives and the pool and put some old towels in the containers so the bees would have something to land on and suck water out of. I alctually drape them up to the top of the pails so that they act like a wick
we then sprayed lots of lemon pledge around the water sources
With in minutes bees were checking out the new sources.
the next day the neighbors noticed a reduction in pool visitations. but it didn't drop the next day. but did increase at the new locations. I told them that the new bees were finding the new water sources but it was unlikely that the ones returning to the pool would stop. They waited a few more days and a few less were coming and then they along with me decided that it would be best to kill the ones that were still going to the pool ( inkow this may not be the most popular with some but the neighbors have a right to their pool and they were very understanding). once they did this they very seldom see any bees at the pool
For the remainder of last year i used pool water to top up the buckets, this year i am using water from my well..... so far so good.
Basically i think you can attract some new bees to alternate sources and maybe even some of the old ones bu ti don't think that you will be able to convince the ones that are already onto your pool as a source.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Build a greenhouse type structure over the pool. We used a pole shed frame with clear panels instead of steel. You will be able to use your pool longer during the year. OK, maybe extreme, but it made the pool alot more useful.

Roland

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Have you ever smelled BEE-GO, I use it, but wouldnt put it on my worst enemy's front porch. Lots of good advice here, I wouldnt reccomend the BEE-GO.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lot of great ideas....Thanks...I especially like the idea of using pool water to fill the alternative water sources.

Peacekeeper, the bee-go is to be used as a very last resort. If the bees continue to come 10-60 and don't willingly start using the other sources then I figure I can close the pool to swimming for a week or so while I use the bee-go to encourage the bees to go to the other sources. But I am hoping the ideas That I have seen here will make that unecessary.

Blueline

1 - 17 of 17 Posts