Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry: well today was the last straw. i guess bking is not for everyone, quick run down that got me to this point. i inherited a hive, find out the hive is queenless order a queen, bees are happy, she is laying eggs. queen now either flew the coop, dies or accidentally got killed. no more laying eggs, bees are real troopers they keep going about their business taking care of brood from first queen. ordered a second queen, placed her wednesday checked on her this afternoon, two dead bees inside cage but queen still moving, thank God, even though i poked a hole in the sugar candy, bees did not get her out. so i just released her! also placed an outside feeder, those yellow contraptions, well all that started was a BIG FIGHT with other hb, guess from another hive. they were duking it out to the death because there were dead bees on the landing board, took that away quickly, then to top it off you have a brother yelling in the background, "told you not to do that" and his experience is he took one class and now knows it all. sheesh. so the harder i tried to help made everything worse, best thing to do when getting into a hobby is READ first, hope everyone else doesn't have as much bad luck as yours truely. happy beekeeping to everyone else.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I can say that it does get easier and in my experience more enjoyable as you gain knowledge and experiences about these wild, stinging, living creatures. I read many post in here about new folks being confused and overwelmed....and I remember feeling the exact same way, and I DID read before I got bees, plus there wasn't an internet back then.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Honeybees... An awful lot of us have the same sort of story to tell.

So take a good look at my face
You'll see my smile looks out of place
If you look closer, it's easy to trace
:cry:The tracks of my (Beekeeping) tears...:cry:

Smokey Robinson

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hang in there and you'll get back right on track and everything will probably work out. Get you a couple good bee books, read this forum and at the same time your gaining hands on experience with it. Enjoy your bees....

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
You are a living example as to why I often tell first-year beekeepers to get two hives, and if they can afford it, four hives.

Some hives work out, some don't. Some live, some die. More hives gives you more experience, more contrasts, more opportunities to gain knowledge.

And as I tell most of my students in my beginner's class: "Bees don't attend the classes--they will do what they want to do."

One year doesn't make make you a beekeeper, and one year doesn't mean you can't become one.

Grant
Jackson, MO

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
It's always great to get an experienced beekeeper as a mentor if you can find one. There's a lot ot learn with beekeeping, but it often seems less overwhelming if you have someone to 'hold your hand' until you build your confidence.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Stay encouraged, even when you make mistakes. You will encourage yourself if you get some books and read up. It will make you feel better. I'll keep saying to stay encouraged. We are all hard on ourselves. Give yourself a break. I can make you laugh if I tell you...this won't be the last mistake you make :D

Just don't give up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts