Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call late yesterday from a friend of mine about some bees that had moved into a shop-vac at his dads house. So I went and got them this morning. Very easy job and very calm bees. Best part is this guy (the dad) is a retired beek. Ran about 70 hives back in the day. I left the bees at his house. He is going to get out his old equipment and help me do inspections when I come to check on them. :thumbsup:

All happy in their new home.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like to use the standard 2x4x8' stud. I like to keep things cheap when I can. Cost less than $2 to make. Not counting the hardware cloth. Most of the time I paint them just been to busy to do the last couple.

·
Registered
453 Posts
D-
Where do you get your hardware cloth from and what kind of prices are you getting? I found some at the Ace in North Arlington, but they are a bit expensive.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get it at the local Ace. I haven’t bought it in a few months but the last time I bought it, it was $2.79 a foot.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Try hardware and tools .com I don't remember what I paid for it now, but it was pretty reasonable even with shipping.

Blueline

·
Registered
143 Posts
I like your BB too. Can you show us a picture of the back of your bottom board, or explain what it looks like? Do you have room for a sticky board under it? Thanks. Paul

I get my #8 wire at Ace Hardware. It's 36" wide and sold by the foot. I use the off cuts for various things like covering openings when transporting hives, and as the connector material between hive parts with 1/2" staple gun staples to keep the pieces aligned when transporting. quick, reusable and strong.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't think my BB would cause such a stir. :)

Give me a couple days and I will make one with full layout and construction pics.

·
Registered
281 Posts
what size is the hardware cloth you use? the smallest i can seem to find is 1/4 inch and it looks too large to me.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Do the bees glue frames 1 and 10 to the 2X4s?

On hardware cloth- For anything project that doesn't need a specific size of hole, I buy window screen. A whole roll was all of $3 at ace. I build a beevac, DDB, and a bunch of screens for entrances.

Kingfisher

·
Registered
281 Posts
if the aluminium window screen will work i'll get it. I did manage to find some number 8 or 1/8 inch hardware cloth.

I thought the window screen may be too light for the bottom board... thought maybe critters l;ike skunk or racoons may be able to damage it easier.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldn’t use window screen. Mites and debris can’t fall thru it. # 8, 1/8”, or 3mm :D in your case is what you want to use.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do the bees glue frames 1 and 10 to the 2X4s?
No. There is bee space between the 2x4 and the frames. Can’t recall any burr comb being built between the two either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hambone thanks for sharing!

Looks like a quick, cheap SBB that would support the hive better than the ones I have make from 1" boards.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts