Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took on this project because I could see the benefit of reducing a strong colony after the honey flow to prevent swarming and aid in boosting young weaker nucleus colonies heading into fall to increase their ability to store pollen and honey to prepare for the long winters up here in Wisconsin.

I am not thinking of this for any spring splits...if I were to split colonies in spring to stop a swarm, I would just split out brood frames/bees into another box, add a queen cell or queen and let them go.... but if those splits were not strong by fall, I could use this shook swarm method to boost those colonies. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Nice one. Shake-off hoppers - very useful bits of kit. Some years ago I was faced with the challenge of how best to shake bees off into a narrow slot (one half of a divided 6-frame nuc) without dumping them all over the place. This is what I came up with:

That doesn't show it's shape very well - here's a better shot of it in the shed, upside down and collecting dust ...

A great bit of kit - wouldn't be without one now - use it nearly every time I'm shaking bees off a comb.
LJ

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice one. Shake-off hoppers - very useful bits of kit. Some years ago I was faced with the challenge of how best to shake bees off into a narrow slot (one half of a divided 6-frame nuc) without dumping them all over the place. This is what I came up with:

A great bit of kit - wouldn't be without one now - use it nearly every time I'm shaking bees off a comb.
LJ
Well done!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts