Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was needing to know how well the queens being shipped fared as far as the condition they are in upon arrival. Overnight prices are so outrageous I was thinking about priority mail but was wondering if they will be cared for or if they will survive and do well if they are in the postal service system for a couple of days. Obviously I have never done this before and it makes me nervous to say the least. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
I ordered 3 queens from Kellys, they arrived in the mail fine. They were shipped priority mail with insurance. They arrived with 4 attendants per package to help care for the queens, all bees were alive and well. I installed them yesterday and have not checked them yet giving them a few days to be released and accepted, hopefully things are well.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered 3 queens from Kellys, they arrived in the mail fine. They were shipped priority mail with insurance. They arrived with 4 attendants per package to help care for the queens, all bees were alive and well. I installed them yesterday and have not checked them yet giving them a few days to be released and accepted, hopefully things are well.
What was the timeline? I noticed you were from Kentucky and Kelley's is there also. I plan on ordering mine from Texas to Arkansas which I admit ain't a great distance but I have less than adequate confidence in the postal service. Hope I am wrong.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also how long can they survive in the cage before I install her? I heard that I should rub a little water on the cage for them to drink. Just hoping to get this right. Thanks

·
Registered
514 Posts
I ordered mine from north coronlina and Im in ohio. I got priorty insured and it got here in two days. She was fine. It was funny though because the post office put the package in big crate marked live bees beeware. I took pics and laughed.

·
Registered
302 Posts
They were suppose to ship them out Tuesday, Im not sure if they shipped late but they didnt arrive until Friday. I installed the same day they arrived, I thought about calling them but they were all well when I installed. Im glad I was off work Friday, it was hot close to 90, my mail box is black, the mail man stuck them in the box and closed the door. If I wouldnt of been off Im sure the heat would of probably killed them all, baked them. They arrived in an envelope markes live queen bees, a few holes in the envelope for them. All came out well I hope. Good luck on your queens, they should be fine.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Overnight prices are so outrageous
Is $25.00 outrageous for next day express USPS?

Mine missed the noon delivery time but were at the post office first thing in the morning. Had four or five attendants in each cage and they ignored the drops of water I placed on the cages when I got home.

Louisiana to Connecticut

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I remember once the post office called me at 6:30 in the morning and said "Come quick! There are bees here!" It finally occurred to me that my queens had arrived..... when I picked them up they wanted me to open the package and show them to them... it was fun.

·
Registered
668 Posts
My location is considered an 'outpost' by USPS. That means that there is no such thing as Express Mail (you can pay for it - but it won't arrive for three days) and Priority Mail is 3-4 days. UPS is typically $40 to ship the first 10 queens. Not much of a choice if you just need 1 or 2.

I have received queens through Priority Mail a number of times (insured). I have never had a problem (knock wood!). Travel time is 3-4 days (typically from Ohio and points east). On one or two occasions there were no attendants left but the queen went right into the hive. On another occasion, I had to keep the queens for 2 days before they could be installed. Again, no problems.

If it were me, I would just use Priority Mail and have it insured.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is $25.00 outrageous for next day express USPS?

Mine missed the noon delivery time but were at the post office first thing in the morning. Had four or five attendants in each cage and they ignored the drops of water I placed on the cages when I got home.

Louisiana to Connecticut
I can deal with $25 but I have seen prices higher than that. Next day air from FedEx or UPS for 2 packages of bees were $185. I think that is outrageous and personally, I can't afford it.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I can deal with $25 but I have seen prices higher than that. Next day air from FedEx or UPS for 2 packages of bees were $185. I think that is outrageous and personally, I can't afford it.
Yes, but you asked about shipping queens.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I didn't realize overnight meant a first class ticket!!
But hey, they are royalty, aren't they?

·
Registered
15 Posts
How long is to long for a queen to arrive. I ordered 2 queens that were shipped on 5/4/2010 and have not received yet. If I receive the on Monday that will be 6 days. Is that to long for the bees to go without water? Even if they are alive when i get them will their health be ok for the next few days. I am not sure if when I receive them if they are not dead, but die 2 days later. Should the supplier stand behind the shipping insurance? I know that if I pick up at post office I can file a claim then. Just wanted to know what to expect after a few days if there is a problem.

·
Vendor
341 Posts
We use Priority Flat Rate envelopes with holes punched in them and well marked with care instructions for just a couple of queens in wood cages with fresh attendants. Some outfits will send one or two queens USPS First Class in an envelope, which can be a little scary.

We've never shipped more than 6 queens. Beyond that, you'll want to use battery boxes or Rite-Ways. Some people fashion their own mini Rite-ways out of a Priority box, cut out the sides and glue in screen.

In-state Priority usually gets there within 24 hours. Usually 2 days for other areas. Beyond Zone 4, they should be over-nighted UPS.

P.S. We are not selling queens at this time and do not anticipate doing so, unless we produce them ourselves. We only buy in queens for resale once a year, in April.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts