Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how they ship just a queen? Do you have to be at home when it arrives? I'm suppose to get one from rossman but he didn't give me any details. Thanks

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Unless he does it different -
Queen will come in a travel cage (much like you see in packages - unless he uses california cages which are smaller and have a rubber tube). As far as I know they are supposed to always come with 3-5 attendants (I think some people have reported getting them without any).

They come in a large envelope (or at least one we ordered did).
I imagine it would be best to be home or have someone who will pick it up for you so it can be opened and placed in an enviroment that will put less stress on her - and fed a little light syrup (I know it has candy but I thing syrup is supposed to be easier on them - besides they will probably need a little water. Put a few drops on the screen.)

Mike

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
The ones that I have got came in 3 hole cages with a few attendants. The cages were taped to the inside of the shipping box and screened holes were made in the shipping box.

I have always had them shipped to my work address. The P.O. usually calls me at work and I go over and pick them up.

Actually I have also got them shipped in the JZBZ cages. I think that they were also taped to the box, but I can't remember for sure.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
I had the perfect Postal Carrier. He would call as soon as he was ready to make his run and drop all my bees off before his route. They did not sit in his truck in the Florida heat and I could get them in the hives quicker. A little honey goes a long way too! UPS ships bees but they do not arrive alive or as healthy in my experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts