Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to requeen a hive but first must find and catch the current queen. I'm taking and putting her in a trap out I have going. I finally found her, she is soooo runny!! I don't normally have a hard time finding queens but I finally found her (the first time) on the outside of the very last frame. She then flew off, came back a couple of minutes later. I almost caught her the second time but she flew off again. I waited a few more minutes. :waiting: Mind you, it is very hot outside right now and all I have is a full suit (loaned veils to others) and I'M DYING RIGHT NOW!!. :cry: I finally figure out she is back in the box, and ah ha! after a few minutes I find her again and get her caught!:D Earlier I couldn't find my queen clip, after I get her caught I look down into my bucket and see...my queen clip. Yay! Then at that same moment, she gets loose and flys away.:doh: I'm pretty sure she knows she can outlast me. I am SOAKED in sweat and my eyes were stinging from the sweat rolling in them. I halfway closed them up, come inside for a bit to cool down and drink some water, then I'm going to go try it again. Wish me luck, at this point I just want her out....dead or alive.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
:lpf::lpf:Sorry cant help myself :eek: If at first you dont sucede try try again :lookout:

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Dead or alive? Next time you see her just poke her where she's at.

Or, just take the whole frame she's on, don't try to catch her, and take her to the hive you want to put her in and drop in the whole frame, or shake the bees off it into the hive. I would just drop the whole frame in and move out an empty for it to have room.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well better luck tomorrow maybe. Its too hot! I went back out again but this time she was hiding somewhere on the walls of the hive. Then I seen a kitty and got distracted :pso I decided to try again tomorrow.
This queen is the result of a supercedure of a not so good queen, this swarm has requeened themselves three times now and have not yet decided on one.
I have what I'm hoping is a better queen to put in there. I think I'll take the advice and drop the frame with her in it. I hadn't even started chasing her when she flew off, I had just made eye contact. I started a trap-out and in case it doesn't go as planned I don't want my nice queen in there getting killed. I'm going to enjoy the a/c for awhile before I go fishing. :popcorn: I hope I have better luck catching catfish than I did trying to catch this queen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts