Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Found a swarm on the ground yesterday next to a wimpy tree. Was able to get 80% of the bees inside a box, the queen was still on the ground, but I eventually found her. She climbed on my hand and allowed me to place her on top of the box. Instead of climbing down inside the frames, she flew up and away. It was 6 PM. This morning I found maybe 20 bees flying in circles (figure-8 really) around a 4 feet area that surrounds the box. I'm assuming looking for her. My plan is to wait 5 days and see if I find fresh eggs, if not I'll just combine them with another hive. But, curious what your thoughts are on where she would have gone: hide in a tree and die, eaten by a bird, fly back to the parent hive where she came from, return to my box without me knowing, etc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Hello
: hide in a tree and die, eaten by a bird, fly back to the parent hive where she came from, return to my box without me knowing, etc?

Thanks!
Pretty good chance she is in your box.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
That queen has no place to go anyway.
Either she joins her swarm OR she is dead.
Pretty binary choice.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
if the hive had swarmed previous, that may be the virgin queen going on her mating flight, she may be back in the original hive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts