Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my backstory. I have wanted a hive forever and finally took the plunge last year with a single hive. I've spent countless hours trying to learn as much as I can and probably made every mistake possible with my hive last year. Ended up going into fall with declining bee numbers and very little in stores. I couldn't find my queen the last 3 hive inspections and thought I must have smashed her somehow. I've peeked under the lid a few times on warm days and confirmed bees were still alive but didn't know about the queen. Well today I did a full blown inspection and there were 2 frames of goldenrod honey, brood and of course my queen. I couldn't be more excited!

·
Registered
11,712 Posts
Nice!

My own opinion is generally not to bother looking for the queen, just satisfy yourself that she is there by looking for young brood and eggs, which can avoid as much disruption to the hive.

All the best for the coming season. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Agree, just look for eggs. You don't have to go through the whole hive looking for her on every inspection. However, it is exciting and useful to find and recognize the queen when you can. I recently created an email subscription where people can practice finding her in photos. I send one Queenspotting image per week.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the advice. I usually don't care if I find the queen but at the end of fall I couldn't find any eggs and the brood numbers fell dramatically. I opened the hive today hoping to just see any brood at all and got lucky and found the queen right off the bat. Such a huge relief.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts