Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a weak hive all summer that has drawn out only 1.5 deeps all summer after being a new install in the Spring. No sign of queen, eggs, or capped brood for many weeks if not months. So, last Friday I'm shaking out all of the frames in front of my other hives, get to the very last frame, and then, THERE SHE IS. :eek: :eek: :eek: SHE'S ALIVE (think of Gene Wilder standing over the monster in "Young Frankenstein") A queen running around.

So, quick thinking was required. Do I put everything back togehter again or continue with my combine? I made my decision, pinched the queen dead, shook out the last frame, and carted off the rest of the empty hive. My reasons: it was still a weak hive that was not going to last the winter. I tried to buy a new queen two weeks ago and couldn't find any. Even if it was a new queen, it may have bad genes. There were a few succession cells but its still late in the Summer to make headway before winter. I didn't want the newly found queen to kill the queen in the stronger hive.

OK, my question. The weak hive had capped honey and pollen in some of the frames so I picked nine of the fuller frames and added a deep with the frames to the top of the strong hive to act either as a super or for the bees to raid. There were no bees on the frames at this point. Assuming no nasty diseases, did I do the right thing?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,992 Posts
>I made my decision, pinched the queen dead, shook out the last frame, and carted off the rest of the empty hive.

Good choice.

>I tried to buy a new queen two weeks ago and couldn't find any.

There are several people selling queens in the for sale section here. I could ship you one tomorrow.

>OK, my question... Assuming no nasty diseases, did I do the right thing?

Probably. You certainly want to get rid of the queen in a hive that is not thriving. You certainly will have better luck overwintering one strong hive instead of a strong one and a weak one or weakening your strong one to boost the weak one.

There usually isn't just one right way to deal with a problem but there is certainly nothing wrong with the one you chose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts