Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Dadant having their sale on free shipping last month, I ordered several large bags of Megabee Brood Mix and a gallon of Bee Quick.

1) What is the shelf life for Megabee Brood Mix?
2) Can you store it outside in a secure container to keep it thru the Winter?
3) Can you freeze it to possibly keep it fresher longer (sort of like what is done for coffee).

1) What is the shelf life for Bee Quick?
2) Can you freeze it?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Can't address the shelf life of megabee. But I am sure that the life could be extended if you have a "foodsaver" and make smaller packages that are vacuum sealed. Makes a very large difference in storage life.

As for the bee quick, at reasonable temps of 32-100 it keeps just fine as long as the jug is sealed. By "fine" I mean years.

Fuzzy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most Patties can be frozen to extend the shelf life I haven't used the mega bee patties but I have froze mann lake patties and they were as good as new when i pulled them out the following spring

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Buy a Vacuum sealer. My wife bought me one and I have VERY expensive steaks that only come out once and a while, and when they do, they taste like they were just cut. Besides that, you'd be surprised at what you can vacuum seal...LOLOL

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
snip
1) What is the shelf life for Bee Quick?
The following is from Jim Fischer's web sit: http://bee-quick.com/

What's The Shelf-Life Of Bee-Quick?
If the bottle is unopened, still sealed with it's plastic wrap-around seal, and kept out of direct sunlight, Bee-Quick will remain ready-to-use for years. Once opened, the shelf-life depends upon how tightly you screw the cap back on. The bottle contains only a limited amount of air, and Bee-Quick reacts with air (oxidation/evaporation) to produce Bee-Quick vapors. If the cap is screwed on tight, only a small amount of Bee-Quick will react with the air in the bottle, and the bottle will still be "good". We are still testing one of the first bottles of Bee-Quick bottled for shelf-life under high-heat conditions, keeping the bottle on top of our furnace. Years have gone by without any degradation.

An important point to remember is that the pump-spray nozzle does not seal as well as the flat cap. The flat cap is for storage, and the pump is for apiary use.

Personally, once opened, I would transfer the Bee-Quick to quart and pint bottles, filling them well into the necks of the bottles. Besides reducing the surface exposed to air... you can break one and still have a lot of Bee-Quick! :)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Mega Bee I freeze mine in the original bag put in a large trash bag that is sealed tight with little air in it with a twist tie and the bees still love it after 2 years of use. (now going to year 3 with it. :>)
Clint

·
Registered
447 Posts
Below is a copy of an email I sent not long ago. It is about Mega-Bee and is answered by Dr. Gordon Wardell, S.A.F.E. R&D, Phone: 520-975-3901,[email protected].
link to web site

Given his answer, I will use it until it is gone or it has a noticeable change in it consistency. Sealed bags should be good for a long, long time. I doubt the small bag I have open will last through this year.

RKR

enjoy!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In a message dated 9/19/2009 10:57:53 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time, RKRichter writes:

I have question that may be silly. Will bees store the liquid as if it were nectar/honey or do they just eat it? If it is stored as a liquid will it spoil?

Thanks for all your help.
Rod Richter
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Rod
Your question isn't silly at all, it's a very good question. I haven't seen the bees store any of the MegaBee based feeds. I even put fluorescent dye in a batch but didn't see it stored in the combs, but I did find it in the adults and even in the older larvae. The bees seem to recognize it as a food and consume it and pass it to other bees (tropholaxis - the sharing of food in social insects).
About spoilage. I've never seen MegaBee spoil, weather in patty, liquid or candy board. We've had it sitting out on the lab bench in plastic bags and no spoilage.

I'm glad you are enjoying working with MegaBee
Thanks again for your question.
Gordon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts