Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought aluminum sheet metal that is used for making gutters/siding to put on top of my telescoping covers. It was very cheap compared to other sheet metals but it's painted. One side is black and the other is white. Which side should I expose? Thanks

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I am not far from you. Where did you purchase it? ...inexpensive metal for hive tops always is tempting.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NewJoe: I was thinking the same thing for the heat but I was worried they would get dirty easily

WBVC: They were the last two rolls (200ft x 24") I believe as they are not used much nowadays, but you can order them in. I bought them from Uppal Building Supplies in Surrey.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I have some made out of black rubber roofing. They do fine in some ways they do better for the solar heat during the winter. Up where you are I wouldn't hesitate to use the black. I can vent but heat is heat when I need it.
David

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'l try half and half. My temps here are usually around 80-90F in the summer so heat wouldn't be a problem with the black part and my winters are fairly mild so white would work as well.
Thanks

·
Registered
693 Posts
Stay with white for the entire year. Black will absorb heat and just as quickly it will radiate valuable heat in the winter; that means that your hive will be cooling off during winter nights or any time without direct sun. White will retain the hive heat in winter and reflect excess sun heat in the summer. White will always give some stability to the hive temperature but black will make it swing radically.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts