Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SHBs weren't so bad a while back. Bees seemed to keep them under control. But they are just too many of them anymore. I have had at least 3 hives abscond and I have lost 2 more recently. One of them had 4 supers of honey on it. I saved at least almost 3 of the supers and part of 1 or 2 more as far as comb and some honey is concerned. Same with the brood frames. I froze all of them. But the SHBL and some WML had done a lot of damage and long with the bees robbing like crazy.

Was out of town for 4 days only to come back to a hive that had 2 full supers of permacomb honey that I hadn't removed. All of the honey was robbed and there were both SHBL and WML in the brood chamber with SHBL in the permacomb.

I have been treating for SHBs but it just hasn't been enough. WIth the hot days and nights and all of the rain it has been perfect for the SHBs and their larva.

I didn't use any of my AJ BEs this year as they were a pain last year. BUt I am going to put some on. I still have hives that I haven't robbed yet or will be able to rob a second time in the near future.

I have SHBs. Going to order nematodes tonight or tomorrow. Just as soon as I can get the people on the phone!!!!

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Get those hives out of the shade!!!!! The difference is night and day (pun intended).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Get those hives out of the shade!!!!! The difference is night and day (pun intended).
Have you read Robert Russells thread on controling SHB? He disagrees. I want to at least have afternoon shade on my hives, don't want them roasting all day in direct sun, I realize a lot of people disagree. I have kept AJ beatle eaters on all year, and have kept them under control. Caught a lot of beatles. They are a PITA to service, I use an old small dish washing liquid bottle to fill them, been doing that today.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had troubles with them last year. THis year I went with a #6 wire screen on Screened Bottom Boards with a tray underneath - for cooking oil. THe beetles can't hardly walk on the #6 without falling through. Will do them damage quickly. Don't have my trays filled right now -not many beetles.
AJs worked but not near good enough.
Look at greenbeehives.com - i have one of his and made the rest with some of my own upgrades.

My hives get sun except between about noon to 3. They are in the same location as last year when I lost most of them.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I'm having lots of trouble, too. Had West traps on and they were catching lots of larva, but I hate closing up the bottom board because I believe ventilation is key. So back to the Beetle Eaters and my other beetle eaters. . .my chickens! Because of my garden the ground has been treated with nematodes for years, so I'm hoping the combination of everything mentioned here will help. Of course, this year I've had the strongest hives ever which was a big help. But really, we gotta get some better non-chemical ways of getting rid of these critters!

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Have you read Robert Russells thread on controling SHB? He disagrees.
I've read some of his stuff but don't recall that. I know from personal experience and from a number of other beekeepers in shb rich territories who've found that hives in direct sun have MUCH lower populations of shb. On a hot summer day (daytime temps in the high nineties) my bees manage to keep the hive temps under control. When I travel into S GA and Fl I see hives in the open and those bees also manage to keep their nest temps under control. In my shady yards shb populations are huge. In my sunny yards they aren't. So, if Robert Russell disagrees....more power to him.....but I'll keep doing what works for me.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sun is good. Went thru 3 yards today and the ones in full sun had maybe 2 beetles compared to shade 10 to 15.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
the ones in full sun had maybe 2 beetles compared to shade 10 to 15.
Here the difference is hundreds in the shady yards and a dozen or so in sunny. And if you go further south.......it just gets worse.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Laurence Cutts who use to be the State inspector for Florida as well as the president for the Fl Beekeepers Assoc. came up with a beetle trap. Think it is called Cutt's Better Beetle Blaster or something like that. Saw them last year at his place, they look easy to fill and maintain as well are fairly cheap.

He lives a few miles down the road from me but this is not a endorsement. Great guy who knows a ton about bees and pest management.

Anyway check them out, see how they work.

As far as me I think in areas with SHB full sun or at least 1/2 to 3/4 of the day with full sun is a big deterent for fighting SHB. Research later on might say different but I think the recomended hive placement should be considered

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
In reality when you have a situation like SHB, you do what works best for your area and not what John Doe might have said. Its a never ending fighting battle until something is invented toi get rid of them entirely. Until that day comes i find that putting my hives in direct sunlight decreases the SHB population and the ant population as well during the spring! To be exact my hives have direct sun in the morning up to around 3:30pm-4:00pm when they will have shade during the hottest part of the day! So far it has been working great and thats what matters! Plus i havent used any chemicals in my hives!!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Full sun, no shade, bees that have the genes to fight the beetles, no inner covers, Stong hives. I also keep them on concrete, but they have the same levels of SHB as ones on sand. I see a few at the most (5-6 is a populous bunch).

Hope this helps

Mike

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
here in central FL we keep them in FULL sun all day long. The bees are capable of maintaining the hive temps just fine. Yards with partial or full shade have more beetles for sure than those with full sunlight. Here in FL if your seeing beetle larvae in traps or bottom boards, its too late, that hive WILL most likely abscond. I dont believe when it comes to beetles that genetics have much to do with SHB control, just my opinion.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Here in FL if your seeing beetle larvae in traps or bottom boards, its too late,
Here as well. Anytime I see shb larvae in a hive, I know it is already in serious distress. The only way I have successfully saved them is if I can find five frames that are clear of shb larvae and can move those frames and the entire colony into a nuc box. Even at that.....it's touch and go.

Also, here, even partial shade they're a big problem. I used to try to find yards where there would be afternoon shade. No longer.....

And, as awful as they are here, they're worse the further south you travel. My condolences to anyone keeping bees south of Macon, GA.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Have lost 3 hives to these pests this year. 2 of those hives were in full sun and one was in afternoon filtered shade. I've regularly treated the ground also but this has only kept the ants at bay, which is nice. Hate these beetles.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We have a club member here in VA who is trying a vented plexiglass cover, so far, so good. It does not seem to bother his bees, and no SHB. Said he read it in ABJ. Me I've got three in afternoon shade and one in full sun and rarely see one.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Me I've got three in afternoon shade and one in full sun and rarely see one.
As I've said, the further south you go, the bigger the problem. I wouldn't expect much of a problem in VA....but if you moved those same hives to S GA you'd discover an entirely different situation.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Ok, let's see if I understand this correctly.
1. Your bees were keeping them under control.
2. You were treating for shb.

Does that mean you were treating the ground, or chemical treatments in the hive, or letting the bees control them while you were treating the ground?

3. You didn't have your AJ beetle traps in the hives.
So did you have any traps in the hives?

I run 2-4 AJ's in each hive, and check regularly. Yes, they're cumbersome at times, but I rarely, even now, have more than 5 or 6 beetles that I see, even around the feeders when I'm feeding. I've had fewer beetles this year than last...and I don't treat the ground. Like one poster said last year, by the time you have to treat the ground, its too late for the hive.

Based on your information, my guess is you learned a hard lesson about keeping traps in the hives all the time.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
We keep telling you guys! KEEP THE FREAKING TRAPS IN THE HIVE YEAR ROUND!!!!!! BEETLES DO NOT HIBERNATE AND A BEEHIVE IS PLENTY WARM ENOUGH FOR THEM TO WREAK HAVOC ALL YEAR LONG!!!!!! :doh:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts