Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can hive beetles fly? i know i have them and have declared war since i spotted the little buggers,my question is i was watching the girls come and go last night and i swear i saw one dive bomb through the front door, the guard bees stopped it first time but it did a lap and got in the second time...only to find i now have a screened bottom board and sticky sheets ha ha,die,but i digress...do them buggers fly?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i knew it...thanks Ed, should i invest in a few disposable oil traps also,i cut the bottom off a water bottle and filled it with veggie oil,and stuck it dead center of my sticky pad,but should i buy couple traps for each super?

·
Registered
245 Posts
As you probably know a strong hive is the best defense, but times there may be needed additional artillery. There are dozens of contraptions out there for SHB, I use the oil traps that can be emptied and refill, 2 to hive. In my area thankfully there are no melon growers so the load of SHB seems to be within acceptable (if such a thing) limits. I've experienced no slimed combs. When I open any of the hives I might see 3-4 and kill them if I can. I have seen the bees coral them and seen where the bees have hauled them out the entrance.
The one thing I would not use is any of the home made boric/gel/poison traps. Usually ends up in bad results.

My TBH's as compared to my Langs have less SHB in them. Reason is, less places to hide so the bees corral them up quickly.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
As you probably know a strong hive is the best defense........
Amen to that!

2 years ago we had several frames slimed by SHB's. I reacted by putting 2 beetle blasters in each box.

Last year I used no traps. What I did do was to make certain that there were many bees wherever there were either stores or brood. While I always had SHB's, they were totally kept under control by the bees. During one inspection on a recently added super I saw a frame with some stores that had many beetles and few bees. I pulled that frame, and replaced it with a foundationless frame. Other than that I did not suffer damage due to SHB's. In short, I tried to keep the bees a little crowded. Hope this helps.

Phil

·
Registered
161 Posts
As you probably know a strong hive is the best defense, but times there may be needed additional artillery. There are dozens of contraptions out there for SHB, I use the oil traps that can be emptied and refill, 2 to hive. In my area thankfully there are no melon growers so the load of SHB seems to be within acceptable (if such a thing) limits. I've experienced no slimed combs. When I open any of the hives I might see 3-4 and kill them if I can. I have seen the bees coral them and seen where the bees have hauled them out the entrance.
The one thing I would not use is any of the home made boric/gel/poison traps. Usually ends up in bad results.

My TBH's as compared to my Langs have less SHB in them. Reason is, less places to hide so the bees corral them up quickly.
I watched a video of the Fatbee man making one of those home made traps. Are you saying it isn't a good idea? I was thinking of trying it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I watched a video of the Fatbee man making one of those home made traps. Are you saying it isn't a good idea? I was thinking of trying it.
Some like it, but it is not an instant kill, so the SHB can eat it/roll in it/whatever and then stroll thru your hive. Bad things can happen after that. Some one said they put it where the bees can't get to it, that would be the best way but we're back to where the beetles travel thru the hives. This is from my own experience, so I no longer apply any in my hives.

IMO Strong hives #1 Oil Traps #2 Baffles #3 and lastly grab some DE and sprinkle under any raised hives to control the SHB larvae as they crawl out and drop to the ground.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Ed and everyone else,love this forum.i haven't seen but a couple of dozen or so but that's still 24 to many in my book,i think i will invest in a few disposable oil traps and the war will continue against the shb blitzkrieg. Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
4,646 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Any idea how far beetle larva can crawl looking for dirt to pupate in? My hive is on a couple of pallets which are on a plastic sheet that is 10x12'. I know they fly in, but am hoping if I can reduce their reproduction in the immediate area of the hive it will help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts