Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that I read somewhere,That you could put salt on the ground in front of your hives & it would help keep the SHB down
Has anyone heard that or tried it?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Supposedly salt kills any larva that leave the hive to borrow into the ground to pupate. Unfortunately, it does not prevent them from entering the hive because the adults fly, nor does it prevent damage to the hive, cause they tear it up before they jump to the ground.
But I do it anyway to prevent these little ______ from reproducing and it also helps keep ants subdued. It doesn't repel lizards though. :scratch: Had bunches of the little green and brown ones huddled under the top cover last fall.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
There's been another post active in the last few days from a Florida beekeeper who keeps some of his hives on a concrete pad. He has far less SHB problems on those hives. Makes some sense ... even if the larvae can crawl over the pad they are open to predators and sun.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
yes, it works as a desicant and cuts/kills larva, stops them from pupating in the ground and reproducing. Will not do anything for adult beetles. Our state apiarist use feed salt (keep stuff) to combact hive beetles when he managed large operations in Mississippi. They began spreading it on the ground, that washed away qute quickly. Then they would periodly throw a handful or two onto the bottom board bottom.

I myself have never tried, hive beetles arn't much of a problem here. My hives are on asphalt tennis court which helps a bit, but larva can crawl a distant, I've never found them on the ground though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts