Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for those who in the Know. Can package bees carry SHB?....specifically packages out of California. Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I received a traditional wooden and screen package of bees that had hundreds of small hive beetles in it. There is a new plastic package with slats instead of screen that is specifically designed to let the beetles fall out or get pushed out by the bees. I received a couple of those last year and neither one had a single beetle in it.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Yes, I get a few every year. They don't last long but I've seen them when shaking the bees in.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I think its prudent to assume that when you're shaking in those packages, you're shaking in both SHB and varroa, and potentially viruses as well. I don't doubt that certain crate construction methods are better than others, but having lived with SHB for 16+ years, I'd say they are far too resilient to be deterred by any particular package construction.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again fsor all of your input. We don't have SHB here on the Southern Oregon Coast. I sit in the foothills of the Kalmiopsis Wilderness Area....I make splits and get my premium queens from Old Sol Apiaries...I like to keep the money in our state. So far I haven't heard of anyone having SHB here. Each year there are more people wanting to keep bees in the area, so the packages come up from California....some purchase nucs for over in our valley. We also have beeks from southern California settling here and bringing their bees. I also see Mannlake is shipping packages this year. So just want to make sure I keep a close eye on my hives. Thanks so much.

Corinne from Brookings Oregon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts