Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have seen almost no SHB's this year ....... last year I was inundated with them.........

What are you experiences this year with them?

Larry

·
Registered
128 Posts
Maybe it's just too early but I've noticed a huge reduction in SHB up here in Piedmont NC. Hope it lasts.....

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
It has indeed seemed to be a bee year thus far. However I would not count my blessings quite yet. The unusually cold winter may have taken a toll on the SHB. Then again it may have just set them back a few weeks. We generally do not have to worry about SHB up here until later in the year. so I cannot determine how they are for us yet. It is often hard for me to tell as I use nematodes, and drenches so they are never much more than a mild inconvenience to me. Mind you it would not hurt my feelings if the beggars got whipped out.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Have seen almost no SHB's this year ....... last year I was inundated with them.........

What are you experiences this year with them?

Larry
Wait till August and report back.... :) Bout the time Watermelons, cantalope, and sweet potatoes that are left unharvested start to rot in the fields....

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Glad I saw this post. I was thinking of starting a thread on this.

Sometime in April I pulled a frame that had both adult and young larva from my one overwintered hive. I destroyed this frame and dropped in a foundationless frame. This was the last time I have seen SHB's on any of my hives. I split that colony, got a new package in late April, and caught a swarm in May, so now I have 4 colonies. I did an indepth inspection today and saw no SHB's. Not as good as Matt (one among 225 colonies), but I'm not complaining. I guess it was the brutal winter that took out any feral SHB's.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't speak too soon. As the watermelon and cantaloupe harvest wrap up, I'm seeing increasing numbers in my hives. One yard was so inundated this weekend that I elected to harvest supers and reduce hive size rather then come back to a slimed out mess. Keep an eye out now because the beetles should be molting out of the discarded melons and moving into hives.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts