Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you Wisconsin folks having SHB problems? I have heard they are around. I have seen none yet but winder how long it will be. Im wondering how big a problem it is or will be here.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Over the last 8 yrs. I've worked hives that migrate from FL to WI and CA to WI. I seen minor damage in 1 deadout last year and 2 honey supers I left in the honeyhouse filled to long 3 yrs. ago. Our winter weather here eliminates them so they are not breeding. They try but don't succeed.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I so hope you are right because I hear they can survive in the cluster. I hope that means if they are really lucky. I have a migratory beek that goes to texas in the winter near one yard I use. Did not see any last summer though. Got my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The larva cause the damage not the adult beetle. The larva needs to pupate(?) in the ground before they turn into adults. You may see them but the damage will be minimal with the population of SHB you will have around. To be safe don't leave full honey supers sit around to long before extracting, especially if there is any brood(even drone) in those honey supers.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Our winter weather here eliminates them so they are not breeding. They try but don't succeed.
Well our winter weather is as about as bad as yours and the DO survive in the cluster here :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts