Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to harvest and have been told to limit the use of an escape board because Small Hive Beetle (SHB) could cause problems. I havent noticed any in my hive but don't exactally know what I would be looking for.

Can anybody tell me if it's even a problem in Illinois. I live in the northern part of the state.

·
Registered
110 Posts
khaas15, I started beeking with 2 new pkgs this year. Was told pkgs are disease and pest free. Thats the way I wanted to start. Both pkgs failed. I ended up buying 2 three frame nucs and they took off great. I will never buy pkgs again. Three frame nucs in my area only cost 45-50 bucks, queen and all! BUT I did notice SHB after about one month. Just one lousy beetle, Smashed! I am Midstate east and west and in the southern tier of counties in MI. I'm sure your area must have SHB. Due diligence my friend.

·
Registered
56 Posts
khaas15, I live in Bartlett too. I started with 2 packages in April and all has gone as planned so far. I haven't seen a SHB or any mites yet. I expect I evenually will, but I haven't seen anything yet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
SHB is most definately here in Illinois. They are not supposed to make it through the winter here, but that doesn't seem to matter around me. I would say that most beeks that I know in the area (kankakee, will, grundy counties) buy packages from the south when needed. The couple of guys that I know that have been keeping bees for 30+ years and not ordered packages in a long time still have SHBs. Don't know if it matters much, but our soil down here is very sandy and they seem to love it. I would use caution and if you only have a few hives just use a fume board and/or brush the bees off as needed. good luck.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Although some SHB may come with your packages it's likely they've just moved up there on their own. They do fly very well and states to the immediate south of you have them in pretty large numbers. :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts