Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 hives that I have set up on a cotton farm. The land owner had told me that I could keep his dead uncle's old hives that were there already that had no bees. When I went down to get things ready, a swarm had moved into one old hive and had built out through the old wax moth covered frames. It took everything I had to chisel the inner cover open because of how tight the wax moth silk that it sealed! My plan is to move the bees out of the old boxes and into a new box.

Anyway, today, I was down placing SHB traps in my hives, as I was a tad uncomfortable with the 10-12 I was killing each time I opened them. I had an extra trap left over and decided to place it in the old hive with bees. I was shocked at what I found.

NOT ONE SINGLE BEETLE!!! I was shocked. I looked and looked, but not a one was seen. I figured there would be just as many there as there were in my other hives.

Now, to figure out why they have none and my "well managed" hives have them.

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
283 Posts
They could be more hygenic, they may not have as much empty room inside the hive to have to protect making them more effective at protecting the area they do have, or you may (??) have the entrances reduced more on this hive so they are more able to protect against intruders, or even all of the above.
May be the beetles just haven't found it yet....

Later, John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts