Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this cold weather we are have help kill off some of the shb?It's not been this cold here in 25 years and i do not think shb's was around then.I did see some dead shb in the front of a hive and the bees was carring them out before the cold weather.What do you think? copper287

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Nope, sorry, it will not. Unless your bees die too. The shbs will get into the cluster and survive quite well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I seen 5 to 25 shb in the front of each hive dead today from the cold.The bad part was they was 50 to 150 bees dead in each hive dead,but one had about a 1lb of bees dead in it.It may not make it.I have it really high off the ground may have caused that.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Nope, sorry, it will not. Unless your bees die too.
Cold weather takes a toll on both shb and bees. In my experience, winter is more devastating on the beetles. Going into fall many of my hives have a load of beetles. During my first inspections in the spring, it's rare to find more than a few in any hives. It's not uncommon to find a clump of dead beetles who apparently got separated from the winter bee cluster and perished. For reducing shb, cold weather is your friend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts