Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Langstroth hives in Maryland. I built two quilt boxes to help with humidity this winter, but I was concerned about how to prevent small hive beetles from hiding in the quilt box in the winter (or in the summer, should I use it then, versus a screened inner cover as ventilation). I have oil traps in each as a preventative and do not appear to have any SHB yet. It seems that SHB can cross through 1/8 machine cloth, but aluminum window screen can damage the bees’ legs and is more easily propolized. Cloth can be eaten/removed by the bees. I saw a suggestion for cedar shaving instead of pine. I’ve searched multiple forum and various blogs, but have not seen this issue addressed. For those who use quilt boxes (or screened inner covers), what is the best material that won’t give SHB a hiding spot? Adding a layer of swiffer pads? Cedar chips? #8 or window screen? Thanks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've use quilt boxes. I attached a screened inner cover to the bottom of a hive top feeder body and use a few layers of wool blanket rather than wood chips. That allows me to feed fondant under the blanket. I've never had a SHB problem nor have I seen them hiding in the quilt box.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts