Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m pulling honey in about a week and when I do I’m going to feed and treat with apiguard. I have two hives loaded with SHB. They both had EFB which was taken care of with oxytet and are doing fine now, but are obviously weaker from the brood disease.

Just wondering if anyone sees a problem with treating a SHB ingested hive with Apiguard. Could the beetles over run the hive? Will the bees be too distracted with the treatment to deal with the SHB?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should mention I’m not pulling honey from the treated hives. I’m just going along and treating and feeding all my hives while I pull honey

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
once you pull the honey supers they will have less room to defend, I do apiguard regularly, not sure if you are over loaded with shb, what will happen.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have not heard of apiguard affecting SHB. Best defense against SHB is a strong, crowded hive. You can try reducing the hive if you can until its under control, or you can put things like swiffer sheets around the edges of the hive and the SHBs will get trapped in them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts