Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this morning by bringing home a box of bees from a tree trap out I started a month ago. There was no new queen laying, we had a patch of rainy cold weather a couple of weeks ago and I don't think they were able to make a queen from the eggs I took over.:(
One of my splits seemed real quiet. I wasn't at home in the daylight yesterday, so I checked around the yard. Sure enough twenty feet up in an oak tree was a swarm of about 4 pounds. My motto this year was no swarms, so much for that.:cry:
Well I got most of the swarm down with a combination of a mesh laundry hamper on a pole, a ladder, and a spray bottle. I put a quart of syrup on hoping they'd stay put - didn't know if the queen was OK.
I thought what the heck, while I'm at it I'll check the split that I though they may have issued from. As I was looking at a frame I saw a queen being let out. It was really cool. I've never seen anything like it she went searching that frame in a hurry. I took that frame over to the box of bees from the tree. As I was looking at it, I saw another very ripe looking queen cell. I cut it off and rested it on top of the swarm hive. When I turned round after putting the frame with virgin in the tree bees hive the cell was empty. I caught a glimpse of her running on top of the lid. I shepherded her, unchallenged, into the swarm hive. Now I know I have two beginning hives with a virgin in each. It all worked out. :applause: Mainly down to luck.
I started the year with all of my 4 hives overwintering alive. I split three of them with bought queens, that made 7. Two of the parents started making swarm cells anyway, so resplitting them using the queen cells gave me three more for 10. The bee tree and todays swarm gives me twelve. I only planned to have 8 this summer! I'm going to have to do some combines when I have seen eggs in the 5 new hives. Adrian.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
A whole lot of stuff going on there. Glad to see it worked out fine. I've found that with the disruption of an inspection any ripe queens in their cells emerge. I had 5 at one time last year. I got ****y thinking I can find queens easy until I realized they were emerging from the next frame over.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts