Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, All! I found a big queen cell about 1" all filled up with Royal Jelly today. My first time seeing
such a big long cell. It will be another 3 days or so before it will be capped.
Anybody doing any split or queen grafting now? And have pics to share about your work (bee's work.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
We are still in winter mode in these parts but I did break a DBL. nuc down in to a single nuc and got the first queen pics of 2014 for me.:D

It has been a long cold winter can not wait till I can open feed and get in to the hives and see how they are. soon.:)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Cell pics are useful if you include the short edge of a business card in the image. Short edge == 5.1 mm. This makes it a great over-under gauge of 10 cell size.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
IMG_1897.jpg
this was from late Feb this year.

IMG_1901.jpg
this queen had already hatched out when I did my first hive inspection Feb 24. She didn't get mated, so it really messed up the dynamics of the hive. The bees capped the 3 new queen cells, but then tore into them before the larve could mature and hatch.

IMG_1905.jpg
Found a new group of queen cells with larvae on Mar15. Will move them this weekend to mini-mating nucs so they can hatch out and I can requeen properly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, since I just split on Sunday, I don't have any cell pics, but this is what I saw when I went to see how many scouts I had today at the swarm trap:

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts