Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
Ehhh.

I've seen thousands of dead bees from a situation like that before.

I wound up doing a shake and plenty of bees from the shaken colony didn't return to the old location, and flew right into the nearest hole.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
As username suggests, that could be a problem. What you could do is walk them into a separate hive body then do a newspaper combine with the colony you want to add them to. You could also collect them and dump them into the temporary hive body. I have done it this way with a Taranov ramp.

Do a search on Taranov swarm for some different ideas.

·
Registered
9,799 Posts
Can I shake a queenless hive in front of another hive and let the nurse bees go in and the forgers fly back to their old location?
Instead - just shake into an empty pocket next to the target colony (separated by a dummy board or a newspaper with slits and a small passage).
Or similarly - shake them into an empty box above the target colony (separated by a newspaper with few slits and a passage).
Spray them with some sugar water, close, wash your hands.
Young bees will stay; the oriented foragers will go to the old spot within a day (whatever is your plan for them - I don't see what that can be).
Should be no losses.

PS: actually, if you do NOT close the hive right away - the foragers will fly out/away within few minutes (just the issue of robbing possibility to be considered).

You also did not specify the strength of the target colony.
With a weak target you can get away with about anything.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I was trying to split the larger colony into two smaller groups because I thought the numbers might be too large for the smaller queen right colony, but I think I'm okay to do the combine based on info from the state inspector.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.