Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Three cases of Mackinlays whiskey ( single malt no doubt ) and two cases of brandy have been discovered buried in the ground at the site of his Antarctic hut from which he set sail in 1909. Some of the crates have cracked and ice has formed inside, making removal difficult, say the experts.

Hand me that straw, my turn.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And that's the honest truth. I was beginning to wonder if anyone else on here knew who Shackleton was. If you ever need to be reminded how good it is to be warm dry and well fed, read Endurance. Plus they lugged a camera the whole way and took photos. Amazing. And now we know why they were trying so hard to get back!

·
Registered
668 Posts
He had good men around him as well. He didn't have many shirkers and most were able to keep positive attitudes..........which would be tough to do when all you have to eat are seals and penguins and burning the fat and oils for heat!

The most amazing part of the story (IMO) is his sailing a 20-some foot boat through the Antarctic seas using a SEXTANT to navigate to South Georgia Island - and he NAILED it!

Tom - if you haven't already, you might read (and enjoy) "A First Rate Tragedy". It details the doomed expedition of Robert Falcon Scott in his attempt to be first to the South Pole (a journey Shackleton attempted and failed at a few years earlier). It is a study of the compounding consequences of even just a couple of bad decisions.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I've done extensive research on particularly the Endurance run since I've done many maps for trade books and school texts on the subject. I've always found Antarctic exploration interesting anyway, with extremes taking a toll on many an explorer.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I don’t know much about this Shackleton character, but I would like to take a couple pulls of that 1909 single malt.

Good to hear from ya MM.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Eating the Dogs

But they were very sad about it. Plus it was the most humane way for them to die, the dogs were taken away from camp and quickly dispatched.

Unlike some California emigrants who ended up eating each other and even their rescuers on the way out!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Falcon Scott and his men had to eat their horses as well.

That, in fact, was one of his major blunders - electing to take horses to the Pole instead of dogs. He and his team had to 'man haul' their sleds all the way back from the Pole.

It is likely one of the reasons they didn't survive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts