Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if any other beeks in the area have been affected by our lack of rain this spring? I feel like my hives started off strong, (all of March) but the nectar has dwindled of late, and I just don't see them putting it on like they usually do.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I was at a beekeepers house in Concord today, they where bringing in nectar like crazy. Mine don't have as much as hers.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mine are in the middle of suburban Menlo Park, so not far from you, but still packing in nectar like crazy- the strongest couple of hives each filled a super from bare Ritecell plastic foundation over the last two weeks, 70% capped. I would imagine the forage is worse on the west side of Redwood City (Emerald Hills, up into Woodside) as the irrigated gardens get sparser, but things still look pretty green. Last year we didn't taper until the latter part of June.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah interesting. I have a nice stand of Eucalyptus, but they didn't really produce much this winter. I'm also noticing my persian mulberry tree's fruit is lackluster. I did a big overnight soak, and it seems to have perked up the fruit, but our dirt is dry. Anyway, I'll be taking a look at my backyard hive in a day or two with fingers crossed for heavy mediums.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Out my way we are still hanging in there. I haven't hauled any loads back to Marin or Sonoma so I can not reflect on those areas yet.

I do have a load of sucrose showing up on Tuesday from JBSJ company as I anticipate the green hills will fade fast and short baring a great rain event here in the next two or three weeks.

Been a great year for mating once again....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Girls are doing phenomenal in my Aptos apiary. The girls in the Santa Cruz Mountains, not so much on the nectar side, but great on breeding. I've been moving a few hives at a time to Aptos from the mountains as the nectar is running a little dry up there and Aptos has a much longer and stronger flow through the year.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am in Dublin and doing okay too my stronger hive is already on its 2nd honey super the 1st is 100% filled and capped.... I am up in the hills so near a canyon and large creek so lots of flowers and green still but once heat picks up that will end soon....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts