Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I saw a section on Bee Source Forums for SF Bay Area Beekeepers. I can't find it now.

Anyway I was wondering how the drought is effecting your hives?
I have three hives now, all seem healthy with lots of bees. There has not been very much activity in the last couple of weeks.
I looked in one hive yesterday and there is not very much capped honey. It actually looks like they have been eating some of the capped honey.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Considering the drought and the fact that the dry years keep piling on top of each other I would say we have endured better than I predicted at the end of March. More honey than expected with way less feeding than last year. Bees are in pretty good shape at this point. We ripped most of the supers off and I'm contemplating tossing a few back on. Still picking queens each week and the nucs are holding up fine.

Anyone out there looking for some excellent Star Thistle with a touch of wild Fennel needs to find a way to PM me. It is bright as the sun and delicious to boot. Other 100% Bay area counties produced honey also available.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
I thought I saw a section on Bee Source Forums for SF Bay Area Beekeepers. I can't find it now.Thanks!
If there was such thing you would have to put up with both Charlie B and me, and that wouldn't be much fun.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My bees are doing fantastic, I have seen no effect from the drought. Conditions in San Mateo are very different from the rest of the state or even the rest of the peninsula due to the morning dew, which I assume the bees drink, since I haven't seen by in our pool. In redwood city where I have a few hives they seem to not find as much water naturally. Big congregations of bees at the coy pond nearby.

Most people didn't start cutting back on watering until very recently, so I think it has had a minimal effect as far as forage is concerned.

·
Registered
746 Posts
My bees in Marin are doing well overall but hives vary considerably and honey production is way down. Hives in west marin where it's really dry have little to no extra stores, though they seem to be adding now perhaps due to buckwheat?? In southern Marin generally little honey, though one hive has over two mediums. Others have no stores and I'm feeding pollen and syrup.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Thanks Ray! I already posted.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
If there was such thing you would have to put up with both Charlie B and me, and that wouldn't be much fun.
Ollie, don't project your self esteem issues on the rest of us.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Since everyone out of state was whining last swarm challenge that it was unfair because we're in California, I think I'll start another OD swarm challenge next spring just for this forum.

I want to take out the old fart so he quits bragging all the time.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
>I want to take out the old fart so he quits bragging all the time.

Why don't you start a "how much honey can you harvest off of dead hives" Challenge? I have pulled 100 pounds each off of two hives that failed to requeen after swarming. And two hundred more pounds off of two hives so slow to recuperate from swarming they were under robbing pressure. Beat that!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
How about some sort of a: How Many flavors can you make from one hive challenge? When I started the AB brewery on 80 in Fairfield had just fired up. With the wisp of boiling wort we can make straight Beedwiser and Beelight as well as full bodied Micho-bee-lob honey as a result. A few years later jelly belly moved in on top of me and they were wondering why they had a bee problem. Free sugar with 100 flavors is all the talk among the "ladies" in those yards now. Since its such a welfare state they fight over who gets to get moved back there after almonds. Between the bellies and the beer we are good for at least 110 different "flows" every sunny day.

The views may be good in the middle of Montana but flow diversity is all the rage in our corner!!!!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
>I want to take out the old fart so he quits bragging all the time.

Why don't you start a "how much honey can you harvest off of dead hives"
I think we all can agree a monkey could do that. You just need a strong back and a weak mind which you seem to excel at. You're just trying to divert my attention because you think I'm a threat to your swarm catching crown you wear so proudly. I'm gunning for you Ollie!

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I think we all can agree a monkey could do that. You just need a strong back and a weak mind which you seem to excel at. You're just trying to divert my attention because you think I'm a threat to your swarm catching crown you wear so proudly. I'm gunning for you Ollie!
Post of the year so far.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts