Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
I just thought it was strange that no-one had commented on this yet:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47047089

They're talking of frostbite conditions - so wrap-up warm guys - and put some extra insulation on those hives if you haven't already done so.

Best of luck
LJ
Well, we just have some winter going up here.
That is all.

Here is a picture of last Saturday morning.
20190125_080419.jpg

I did drive around and dumped more snow on the top of my hives.
We went out cross-country skiing that afternoon.

-26C - outside
-18C - inside unheated nuc shelter
-8C - inside a heated nuc
20190126_082333.jpg

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Yes, it's going to be cold (today was 8 F predicting -14 F tomorrow and then it warms up). No, it's not record breaking. Not even close. In my current location I've seen -27 F every night for a couple of weeks. In western Nebraska, I've seen it -40 F for a month and a half. -14 F for only one night, is just winter.

·
Vendor
54,120 Posts
>from the article: "The Illinois city could experience a low of -27F, with freezing winds making that feel closer to -50F, officials say."

The record low for Chicago was −27 °F (−33 °C), set on January 20, 1985. So they are predicting matching the current record for Chicago. That's not breaking the record...

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Yeah, -4F with -30 wind chills Wed morning but 44F Fri and up to 60f on Mon; so much for acclimating.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Happy to help a brother out, how many cubits you need?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Be careful exporting the cubits of warm. Remember a cubit of warm has twice the value of cubit of cold. Don't get scammed by those NE'ers. :D ...besides, I like your overflow of warm settling into KS. :shhhh:

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
This is pretty cold for our location - -31C/-24F.
Cold enough to be announced state emergency today (due to wind chill factor).

When I opened the last heated nuc (when they terminated) - I found the remaining bees just clinging to the radiator to stay alive.
So I wonder if the bees in my remaining heated nuc are now just clinging to the radiator too (away from any honey, but warm).
Will check them on the weekend (should be above freezing) - hope they take this beating OK and stay alive.

20190130_080048.jpg

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
8 F yesterday -14 F this morning supposed to be -2 F tomorrow and 9 F the day after. We call that a normal winter. In fact that's a fairly short cold spell for here and not anywhere near a record cold.
This morning on cbs they tried to say this proves global warming. Think they are catering to the born yesterday crowd.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
This morning on cbs they tried to say this proves global warming. Think they are catering to the born yesterday crowd.
The climate change IS about destabilizing jet streams - read on that.
On Saturday/Sunday/Monday we have forecast for temperatures WAY above freezing (check your local forecast) - that IS the sign of abnormality.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The climate change IS about destabilizing jet streams - read on that.
On Saturday/Sunday/Monday we have forecast for temperatures WAY above freezing (check your local forecast) - that IS the sign of abnormality.
I've been alive going into my 63 year seen that when I was a kid and still seeing the same thing now it's just a local weather event.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
It's only 10º ABOVE zero here this morning. :) Not bad for all the hubbub that the news warnings. Predicted high today will make the low 20's and then on to mid 40's for tomorrow and low 60's for Sat. & Sunday.

A quick check on 23 hives last weekend and I have NOT lost a single colony yet this winter. However, in a few of the colonies the cluster or amount of bees are dwindling. Looking forward to winter's end a.s.a.p. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
that IS the sign of abnormality
uh oh, you mean AB Normal isn't a good thing? I'm in trouble then.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Sometimes people think average = normal. then jet streams have always did there wiggle years ago they called it the Alberta clipper now it's polar vortex Ooo that does sound ominous then there is the January thaw is that abnormal I think not. Then I get told to read on that well been there done that. Done with my rant have a good day.

·
Vendor
54,120 Posts
>On Saturday/Sunday/Monday we have forecast for temperatures WAY above freezing (check your local forecast) - that IS the sign of abnormality.

I was pouring concrete back in the early 80s. We got the sidewalk formed up and called the concrete company. It was 60 F at the time. They said they would send a truck right out (they are about 30 minutes away) and it should be there in about an hour. That was 10 am. By noon, the truck wasn't there and it was 30 F. We had insulated tarps and the ground wasn't frozen, so we weren't worried. By 2pm it was down to 10 F. We were worried. They said the truck was on it's way and it showed up about 3pm. By then it was getting close to 0 and the concrete was freezing in the chute. We had to break up the whole pour and haul it off. The only time I remember losing a pour to freezing. It dropped 60 degrees in about 5 hours. Nothing new here. It's called weather.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm really quite surprised at how dismissive you've been in several posts, MB, about the current conditions. Seven people have already died, "states of emergency have been declared in Midwestern Wisconsin, Michigan and Illinois, and even in the normally warmer Deep South states of Alabama and Mississippi."
" "This could possibly be history-making," said Ricky Castro, a National Weather Service (NWS) meteorologist in Illinois."

Well - it's not my country, and so it's not my problem - but I just thought it very odd that such weather conditions hadn't even been mentioned in passing on here - and so I thought it was worth posting. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered ... ?
LJ

1 - 20 of 26 Posts