Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are forecasted to have a particularly dangerous severe storm. They are talking hurricane force straight line winds, long track tornadoes, golf ball + size hail, and lots of lighting and rain. What can I do to help my hives survive if this storm actually hits my place? They are somewhat protected by a tree barrier, and I currently have cinder blocks on the cover. Anything else I can do that can be done quickly (ie..tomorrow morning)?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Just be sure they can't blow over, if strapping to a stand, ask yourself if the stand could blow over?

·
Registered
792 Posts
strap the hive together.
Whether to the stand or not.
If the hive is strapped together and they tip, they will likely be fine. If they are not strapped and the boxes break apart, bees will be very unlikely to make it.

Check photo I just posted in Photo forum

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
You can also get some of those stakes that screw into the ground. Like the ones you tie your dog to, and strap to those to keep them from blowing over.

Take more caution if you live in or near a trailer park. Tornadoes hate those for some reason.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well no trailer here or nearby parks, whew! I went out today and hives with supers I straped them togther. On my swarms I caught (single deep) I just put a cinder block on top. The rest is up tp mother nature now as i am at work till tonight(dark and bad weather). Thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey MsBeekeeper, we rode the storm out pretty well over in West Point, hope you the same. Let me know if you would like to go to the workshop in Vernoa, mabee you, Ted n Ms & &myself can ride together. Hope alls well. Beecat

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everything went well. The bees where actually out flying today as crazy is that was. Yeah Yazoo City got hit REALLY HARD!!! We were lucky here. I saw where they were talking about Barton Ferry road, I need to get up with Ted and make sure he is okay. We got some winds and rain but nothing bad at all. sirens were going off like crazy though!

The beekeeper workshop in Verona, what were those days again? I might could do that, I need to go to one for sure!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts