Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am getting 4 packages of bees on Saturday morning. I should have them to my place around 9:00 - 10:00 am.

I will have the hives set up in groups of 2. There will be around 200 feet between the 2 groups of hives. I will have the hives in each group about 20 feet apart from each other. See picture:

Bee Hive Layout.JPG

I would like to see if my plan is the best way to do it.

I am thinking I should introduce the first package to hive 1. Then give the bees about an hour to settle in. Then introduce the second package to hive 4 and wait an hour. Then hive 2, wait an hour, then hive 3. The reason for the wait between would be to give each hive time to acclimate before I have new bees around.

Does this make sense? Should I do it this way, or should I just do one hive at a time with no break in between? How would you do it?

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
In my opinion, you're overthinking it. Your layout is fine if that is how you want them. I have found it more convenient to have the hives in one group a few feet apart. The bees really don't mind being that close. I have actually heard some people say that it is more likely to see robbing from hives a little ways away than right next door. I don't know if it is true, but makes sense since bees have a minimum distance that they can give directions with a waggle dance.

As for installation, that will work fine, but again is unnecessary. You can install all 4 at the same time. Some of the bees may end up in the 'wrong' hives, but won't cause any harm.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree with Toadman. Last year, I installed four packages at the same time. No problems. You always get a little drift. There are always a few bees that you can't get out of the packages, I just leave those near the four hives and the bees will make their way to a hive with no problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts