Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

A little background:
As i mentioned in my first posts, i & my bees are living in a desert part (94 mm yearly average rain) and this is my first beekeeping year so i facing for the first time problems that connected to the area conditions.

My 5 strong hives & my 15 NUCS became very weak and as i see from June, there is no pollen collection, and in the frames cells i cant find pollen.

My questions:

1. Instead of buying very expensive pollen patties, Can i manually collect and put dry pollen from other area straight into the hive or in another method?
it's hard work, but it can save my hives.

2. What is the best way (manually or with a dedicated device) for collecting
pollen ?

Thanks alot,
Randi

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Re: series pollen supply problem

1. Instead of buying very expensive pollen patties, Can i manually collect and put dry pollen from other area straight into the hive or in another method?
it's hard work, but it can save my hives.

2. What is the best way (manually or with a dedicated device) for collecting
pollen ?

Thanks alot,
Randi
Collect pollen with a pollen trap...I like the Sundance bottom trap. You'll need to do this when pollen is plentiful in the field. Spring pollen collection is best time here. From Dandelion through Blackberry. Freeze it until use.

Start with an empty brood comb...it's tougher and easier to work with. Pour pollen (thawed if frozen) onto the comb. Work it into the cells with your finger tips until well filled. Give to bees.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Michael.
Mabye a stupid question but i have to know :scratch:

Are the bees will be attract to a bucket containing dried flowers with their
plollen that i will collect from trees or the flowers have to be with nectar
for this to happen?

The problem is that in my area even in the spring, there is no spare pollen
that i can collect with pollen trapes, so i am looking for a solution of bringing pollen from the non desert parts.

Thanks again
Randi

·
Registered
224 Posts
I son't know for sure but I think they might collect pollen from flowers you cut somewhere else and bring in. It might be worth an experiment to see. Earlier this spring I saw my bees bringing in pollen before it was warm enough for flowers to start growing. I assume they were getting some of last years pollen off of the dead plants from last fall.

My question for you is: If you are in such a desert that there are no flowers for pollen collection, how do you have enough nectar to maintain your hives?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My question for you is: If you are in such a desert that there are no flowers for pollen collection, how do you have enough nectar to maintain your hives?

I have nice nectar flow in the spring but in the other seasons i have poor flow relative to center and north of Israel. so i am not extracting some of the honey combs nad reserve them for bad days...

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Hello Randi.
It may be easier for you to make some protein supplement patties. Soy flour and deactivated yeast are common ingredients. I believe there are a few decent protein supplement patty recipes on here in different threads.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I am not sure if it a valid option for you but, you can buy pure and natural bee pollen granules on-line. I have not personally used them but I have heard of others doing so.

·
Registered
101 Posts
just a thought for next year, do you or someone you know have space available close by where you might be able to plant something that will provide nectar and pollen for later in the season ?? It wouldn't haft to be a large plot necessarily depending on how large the hive is, and something is better than nothing. me and garprob live in what is considered a high desert and at different points in the season flows will come and go depending on weather so several small patches of different plants may be in order like here.

like i said, just a thought

beebiker

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi beebiker,

Yes, this is the big plan for the future, planting some types of Eucalyptus
that will give us yearly flow of nectar & pollen, but meantime we are trying
to survive this year.

Thanks
Randi