Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Am about to add a 2nd brood box and I haven't got a separator board. Are they essential? I see a lot of videos and most keepers are using them. Looks like they are helpful in not crushing the bees.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Color me stupid for saying this but I don't think "most beekeepers" are using a separator board. I dont even know what one is. Perhaps it has another name?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JW - I often see a board with a round or oval hole that is sometimes placed in between the brood boxes or in between top of the box and the lid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They are not necessary; I personally use the Betterbee shim above my upper boxes for an upper entrance year round.

I have seen shims used between boxes during a good flow, but not for any prolonged time, else the bees will build bur comb in the space.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
JW - I often see a board with a round or oval hole that is sometimes placed in between the brood boxes or in between top of the box and the lid.
Could this be what we in the UK call a "Crown Board", and what is known in The States as an "Inner Cover" ? The oval hole being normally sized to fit a Porter bee escape.

Intermediate boards were common back in the days of box hives, but seldom seen (afaik) in modern beekeeping.
LJ

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
What you are referring to is an inner cover. They are used to assist in keeping the telescoping cover from being glued down to the hive body by propolis. In the UK they are called crown boards. Most beekeeper do use them or a flexible cover that serves the same purpose. Inner covers are not used when hive top feeders are in place. Many of my inner covers also have an upper entrance and when used upside down serve to provide a space for a pollen patty. But the short answer is that they are not essential, just helpful.

LJ beat me to it:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well thanks all for your replies I do like the idea of the shim on top which would make it easy to feed a patty or medicate if need be with out crushing them. The top cover sits directly on the box with no room and hate crushing. Will make a run tonight to see if I can find one.

I'm no PRo, its just my initials :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts