I have done the crush and strain this year and usually give whats left back to the bees, this year my daughter wants to make some candles, what is the easiest way to seperate the wax from the honey left in it? thanks!
I've done this and it worked great (at 200 degrees) in the oven but have a small layer of brownish crust on the bottom of my wax. Should I reheat the wax and pour through a fine strainer. I plan on making lip balm. Thanks, Mike
Keep in mind that you don't want beeswax that you are melting to go over 180* to preserve the quality of the wax, especially the nice smell. The ideal temperature that you want when pouring or dipping candles changes depending on the candle size you are making or mold type you are using. Large candle molds require higher temps. than smaller molds so you don't get the horizontal "crack" lines. You will learn by practice. Take notes on best pour temps. and write it on your mold along with best wick size. Usually I like to pour or dip between 160 to 180*. Dip at too low a temperature and you will get lumps. Smooth motion on the dipping so wax doesn't wrinkle! If you don't have a dipping taper rack, use a stainless steel nut tied to the wick. After a few dips, you can cut the nut off. If you don't, it will really get coated.
Don't use aluminum to melt wax in as it can darken and discolor the wax. Some people like the electric Presto pots. Use caution always.
Birthday candles are fun to dip. I use a rack. Use 4/0 (pronounced four aught) for wick. They only need to be dipped 5 times or so. My birthday candles burn almost 1/2 hour and still have a stub left.
You can wash most of the honey out by putting the mixture in a tub or bucket with tap water, work it around and remove the wax with a strainer. It may take three or four cycles to get most of the honey out.
A forum community dedicated to beekeeping, bee owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about breeding, honey production, health, behavior, hives, housing, adopting, care, classifieds, and more!