Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago I removed a large bee colony from a building along with about 200# of honey stores. I placed all the cutout comb, with honey and old brood combs in large plastic bins. My initial thought was to feed the cutout honey comb back to me bees and let them clean it all up, but the issue is that my bee yards really don't need it. I don't have a melter to dump everything in and draw off the melted wax and let the honey separate. I process my wax in a large kettle over an open burner in my shop filled with water. When it all melts I simply run the melted wax through a cloth and have nice clean wax. I am wondering if I can somehow melt all this comb (maybe in small batches in a clean pot) and let the wax harden and pour off the honey and filter it for consumption. Most of this honey is darker, and a lot of it is light but granulated in the comb. With the retail price of local honey at $8.00 per pound here I am looking now at trying to reclaim it and have it good enough to bottle and sell. Can I put a pot inside a pot like a double boiler and melt everything down to be separated after the wax hardens? Anyone have any ideas? I don't have enough freezer room to store it all, because I have so much. I don't want to darken the honey any more than I have to.

·
Registered
652 Posts
separate the honey only comb, crush and strain it. then melt it with the rest of it? I think most guys who do cut outs put the honey in its own bucket so it doesn't get mixed with brood comb.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I (would) separate the honey comb when I do the cut outs, place it in a container that has 3/8" holes at the bottom, place another container under and crush and strain. 200LB is a lot but doing it in smaller batches will help.
Than you can heat up the crushed comb and have the wax. I have not tried feeding it back to the bees and I have a feeling it is not a good idea.
I do not like to heat up the honey at all, cold press it f you can.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Personally, I would only consider selling the crushed comb honey if it came from new or barely used wax. In other words, in my opinion, you should separate the old black combs from the new (last year) stuff and crush separately.
Honey crushed from old comb leaves much to be desired. I would never sell such a product.

·
Registered
523 Posts
When I do a cut out, I put capped honey into a separate bucket. If it's uncapped or includes brood or pollen it goes in the junk bucket. Pretty much anything "marginal" meaning it doesn't look like I'd use it for cut comb goes in the junk bucket. When I've extracted the marginal stuff, the honey ended up tasting sour and horrible. Within 2 days I either make it into cut comb which goes into the freezer to kill any SHB larvae or do crush and strain. With the granulated honey comb, you can crush and warm in a double boiler (no where near the temps needed to melt wax) then strain.

I put as much of the junk as I can in the freezer, and what can't fit there starts getting soaked in buckets of water. Rinse water is dumped and the old comb stays submerged until it gets to the crock pot.

All the "junk" goes into a crock pot with some water then through a strainer to remove cocoons, dead bees, brood, etc. The brown syrup and sludge that settles out under the cooling wax gets dumped. I guess with cold weather letting it sit for a few weeks you may be OK, normally I'd expect it to be crawling with SHB and wax moths.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Are you 100% sure the customer used no pesticide on this colony?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I did a cut out in a floor system .I asked the homeowner if he sprayed them.beautiful comb and honey.he asked for some.gave him a big bowlful.next day when I was cleaning,getting plastic off walls and floor,the homeowner 'remembered' he might have sprayed them.could it hurt him and his son.i told him it depended on how much got contaminated and if he got that part.good thing I know homeowners lie.a couple cans of raid are cheaper than your charge for removal.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Well you're in New Mexico, crush and strain whatever looks clean and good, then store the rest until summer and make a ******* solar melter. Aka a big black plastic garbage can (the kind you put leaves in) that you set out in the sun. It will *EASILY* get hot enough to melt the wax. Let it set out overnight to cool down and reharden, then early in the morning break it up and wash it off. You can then further process it from there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts